Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Twitter Username And Password Are Not Getting Along

I've decided I am not smart enough to understand Twitter.

At one point I thought I had a gestalt and finally got what the point of Twitter is, sort of instant micro-blogging that serves a purpose at certain rare times. Like if there is some disaster, earthquake, terrorist attack, Twitter can be a source of legit information.

For awhile I thought Twitter was being useful in driving traffic to my websites and blogs. I have since disabused myself of that notion.

Yesterday I tried to log into the Twitter account for my Roadtripping Blog. I was told the username/password don't match. After a couple tries the annoying Captcha thing was triggered.

I gave up and took the "lost your password?" option. Twitter then sends an email in which you click a link and reset your password, which in this case was the same password Twitter said did not match.

And then today it happened again. I reset it again. And then Twitter kept insisting on putting the username in the username field of one of my other Twitter accounts. When I tried to type over the wrong username, Twitter kept changing it back. Twitter or some other bogeyman. I choose to blame Twitter.

So, I am thinking, for me Twitter is a big waste of time, doing all those Tweets things with bit.ly, to really no good purpose that I can be sure of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you realize it's possible that you have someone trying to figure out your password. They try a few times, get booted out and along you come to clean up their mess. That's why I've come to adhere to the policy, if at all possible, a user name is your first password. For instance, if you bank online, a user name should be completely nonsensical and a password is worse. A user name should be a mishmash of upper and lower case letters and not even a word. For me then, a user name becomes a first password and it effectively makes it necessary to complete the user name correctly before they can even begin to enter the password.
In your case, I wouldn't bank online with the computer you're using to tend to your webpages.
Two, if I wasn't enjoying Twitter and I had someone sniffing around it in a nefarious way, I'd delete the account.
YMMV