Sunday, September 5, 2010

Having Fun Getting Overstimulated On The River Legacy Park Mountain Bike Trail

I have now had my first mountain bike ride in over a year. I went to River Legacy Park today around noon. The mountain bike trail has become very popular. The parking lot was almost full. A lot of bikers were hanging out in groups. It was being like the parking lot at the Slick Rock Trailhead in Moab.

The previous time I went a long time without mountain biking was due to the trails being badly damaged by storms. The River Legacy trails were flooded, that time, with a lot of wind damage.

If I remember right the flood/wind damage kept me off the River Legacy trails for a long time, maybe 6 months. I remember when I first pedaled there again I had trouble with the first drop, wobbled and had to jump off the bike. It was only on my second time around, that time, that I got my mountain bike legs back.

Well, today it was like I'd not been off my bike for a year. I sailed down the first drop and zipped up the other side. Same with the next drop. I was being sort of amazed at how much obviously stronger I am being. I had no idea.

Mountain biking was being way funner than I remembered. It is way more intense than pedaling on a smooth paved trail. On a mountain bike trail, particularly one like River Legacy, you have to be constantly alert, lest you run into a tree or miss a curve. It's very stimulating.

I'm thinking testing out my new power legs on the Cedar Hills State Park Dorba Trails would be interesting. I used to go there all the time. But, nowadays it seems foolish to drive 50 miles, round trip, to ride a bike.

I went 11.934 miles today, in an hour and 12 minutes, plus some seconds, the number of which I have forgotten.

When I pedaled the River Legacy Park paved trail a couple days ago, a few miles in, I discovered my mesh shorts had developed a malfunction. Today a few miles in I made the same discovery about another pair of biking shorts. I bought a new pair at Wal-Mart on my way back here. We'll see how long they last without an unfortunate splitting.

2 comments:

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

So whose derriere is too ample? All this shorts buying could send you to the poor house.

Durango said...

Betty Jo, I share your concern that my derrière has grown too ample. I was wearing long pants a couple days ago and the fit was surprisingly snug. Previously a belt would have been required.