Thursday, September 9, 2010

Biking Veterans Park While Hot & Humid & Looking At A Bizarrely Wrong Arlington Barnett Shale Drilling Operation

Most of the parks I usually go to to hike or bike are underwater or seriously impacted by too much water, courtesy of that wet mess known as Hurricane Hermine.

I knew there was little chance Veterans Park in Arlington was very water impacted, except for possible mud.

Turns out, the mud had already dried and did not present a slippery problem.

The problem I did have at Veterans Park was as soon as I parked I saw a Barnett Shale drilling rig had re-appeared at the apartment complex across the street from Veterans Park.

I don't understand how this is allowed. I know Arlington plays by different rules than other more advanced areas, which is what earned Arlington the Eminent Domain Abuse Capital of the World Award, but why is it that in Fort Worth a gas rig has to be at least 800 feet from where people reside, while in Arlington you can put one of those noisy rigs in someone's backyard within spitting distance of the apartment dweller's decks?

The rig was not making too much noise today. I pedaled as close as I could get to it and heard machinery, but not the usual squealing and metallic thumping noises.

The bike riding at Veterans Park was not too much fun. One thing is the humidity is out of control today. The other thing is I like to have a destination, like pedal to the end of the trail, then head back. Or a long roundtrip. Veterans Park's trail makes a short loop of about a mile. There is one spur off that loop that goes up a hill. The loop itself goes up a hill.

Going up and down hills, fast, was fun. But by mile 6 I was bored. And ready to check out how bad Village Creek is flooding. I saw the Village Creek Natural Historic Area parking lot was closed on my way to Veterans Park.

No comments: