Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Big Bag Of Lettuce & Feeling Fall At The Tandy Hills

I've had me a day. Up real early, swimming before the sun brightened things up. Hours fiddling with HTML.

I escaped at noon for some aerobic therapy at my nearest recovering Texas prairie, that being the Tandy Hills Natural Make You Feel Better Area.

A hint of fall was in the breeze and the leaves on the trees. The green is starting to show some signs of the upcoming major color change when all turns vivid shades of yellow, orange, red and brown.

While I hiked I had a good talk with myself about this hell I am living and what I need to do about it. I came up with no good plan. I'll talk to myself some more tomorrow if I can find the time.

A couple months ago, around when the 4th of July caused explosions all over town, some of those explosions occurred on the Tandy Hills, starting a fire that burned the prairie. This is good for the prairie. It kills off the unnatural stuff. In theory, anyway. Today, when I walked by the charred area, I saw something a bit surprising. We are months past the prime of wildflower season. Yet somehow some wildflowers have popped out of the burned ground, sprouting yellow blooms. It is a miracle of nature. Or something like that.

Since I was in the neighborhood, after I was done with my aerobic medicine, I went to Town Talk and found the best bargain yet. A giant 10 pound bag of spring greens salad fixin's mix, or whatever it's called. For only $2. And it appears to be way fresher than what I've bought in a grocery store previously. This will be a big challenge to consume all that salad material.

1 comment:

Don Young said...

Those yellow flowers in the burned area are called, Two-leafed Senna. Look closely and you can see why they have that name. That burned area will look great come Spring.