Thursday, September 3, 2009

Troubled Water With Green Slime & A Worried Interracial Couple At Fosdic Lake

A couple days ago I think I mentioned walking by some neon green water in the lake in Oakland Lake Park. Today the green was no longer so neon, today it just looked like run of the mill slime.

I also think I've mentioned the do not eat the fish you catch signs in this park. They seem to have been modified. Now you are advised to not eat carp you may catch. And, any other fish you may catch, you are advised to get them filleted, on ice and then on a grill quickly.

I have wondered why, of late, I've seen so many fishermen fishing in Fosdic Lake.

Fosdic Lake? I thought I was at Oakland Lake. No, I was at Oakland Lake Park. But the lake's name, apparently, is Fosdic Lake. I've noticed the sign that says Fosdic Lake before. I figured it was some sort of mistake. We are prone to those here in Texas. It's the heat. It makes our thinkers go screwy at times.

But, I think I've figured it out. Oakland Boulevard is on the west side of Oakland Lake Park. So, I think people would say, "let's go to the lake," not knowing the lake had a name. Then Fort Worth decided to turn the area around the lake into a park. Since Oakland was the main street in the area it must have been decided to name the park, Oakland Lake Park, with no one considering the considerable confusion this would cause later, when a sign was put up identifying the lake inside Oakland Lake Park as being Fosdic Lake.

The last time I was at Oakland Lake Park walking around Fosdic Lake I mentioned the lovebirds, Ramon and Gabriella. Today it was a pair of lovebirds I've mentioned before, an interracial pairing between a black bird and a while bird. Usually I see the happy couple out on Lake Fosdic. But today they were sitting under the shade of a bush. They seemed troubled. Usually the birds do not let me get too close, but today it was not me who seemed to be on their minds. Maybe they've been driven from the lake by that green slime I showed you. I know it keeps me out of Fosdic Lake.

1 comment:

Commute-a-sarus said...

the neon green slime is usually attributed to an algal bloom caused by "non organic" lawn fertilzer run-off....as for the don't eat the fish signs, the lake was probably treated with copper sulfate to get rid of the algae... it doesn't hurt the fish but people will get sick if they eat them. the copper sulfate will settle to the bottom and be harmless,except in carp the carp doesn't rid its body of copper sulfate as rapidly as other fish species so don't eat the carp.