Thursday, September 9, 2010

Village Creek Is Way Out Of Its Banks In Arlington

I saw Village Creek Natural Historic Area was closed due to flooding, on my way to Veterans Park. After I was done getting too HOT at Veterans Park I headed to the Interlochen zone, where I knew I could get a look at Village Creek.

I have seen Village Creek in flood mode before. But not like this.

By today the creek had dropped quite a bit, but I could tell that at its high point it had actually gotten as far as the road.

In the picture we are looking at the water covered trail that steeply goes down to the dam/bridge crossing that takes you in to Village Creek Natural Historic Area from the Bob Findlay Linear Park. In the picture I am standing on the Bob Finlay Linear Park. The Village Creek dam/bridge is under a lot of water.

The water of Village Creek, and other area creeks is making its way to the already super-flooded Trinity River.

This flood is the worst I've seen since I've been in Texas. It will take a long time for the River Legacy mountain bike trails to recover. When the river recedes it does not take all the water with it. The water stays in the low spots.

The River Legacy trails were in such good shape, pre-flood. There will be so much damage. And all the little wooden bridges at the bottom of gullies will have floated away.

A slightly amusing flood story was pointed out to me this morning by Elsie Hotpepper. Yesterday, when the Trinity started rapidly rising, a group of Chesapeake Energy workers found themselves surrounded by the rising river on a drilling pad site they were working on near Precinct Line Road in far East Fort Worth, near, I believe, where Bell Helicopter had some serious flooding issues.

These flood troubles will end once the Trinity River Vision and its flood control project fixes the bad water flow woes that occur here when too much rain is dropped in too short a time period in this zone of North Texas. The Trinity River Vision currently is costing around $1 billion, but really seems worth the expense, in the long run, putting an end to these flooding inconveniences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And if you believe that, we have some ocean front property over here in the Water District we'll sell you for real cheap. Of course then we'll take it back by eminent domain...