Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Homeless People Of Fort Worth Vex & Sadden Me

I have seen homeless people, while pedaling the Trinity Trail that takes you from Gateway Park to downtown Fort Worth and beyond, many times.

There was one summer where one homeless person had pretty much taken up residence under the Riverside Drive bridge across the Trinity. I believe Riverside Drive connects to Lancaster Avenue, close to the inadequate facility which tries to helps people with no where else to go. I think you have to leave during the day, and then can come back at night.

But, I don't know for sure. There is not a lot of publicity about how to help the homeless.

So, last night I pedaled into the sunset on the Trinity Trail that I've pedaled many a time, seeing many a homeless person.

But.

Last night's incidents bothered me. The first was a fairly old couple. They were seriously sunburned. Their clothes were a bit ragged. They had a look of fear about them. It startled me. They were very close to the church that sits on the west side of Beach Street, next to the I-30 freeway. There were a lot of people at the church.

A few miles later I came upon a guy looking to be in his late 20s. Very sunburned. He was pacing back and forth. It made me nervous as I approached closer to him. All he had with him was a small gym type bag, sitting on the ground. A soccer game was being played nearby. The only thing I could figure was, after the game is over, he finds shelter somewhere by the field. Darkness was approaching, he was near no roads. Where was he going?

About a mile later I saw a man who appeared to be, maybe, in his 40s, with a girl who appeared to be a mid-teenager. They also were badly sunburned. The man was carrying a water jug. The girl was barefoot.

I turned around shortly after I passed the man and girl. Coming up behind them I saw horrible big, bloody, red sores on the girl's legs.

Where were they heading? They were a long ways from Riverside Drive.

It was such a strange juxtaposition, seeing so many people enjoying frivolous fun at Gateway Park, playing games. Seeing others, like me, having fun riding bikes. And then seeing these Great Depression expressions on sad tortured faces.

It bothered me. But, what could I do? Nothing.

I mentioned what I saw to someone this morning. I opined that there should be someplace that helps people in dire straights. The party I was speaking to said there was. I asked what? The party did not know.

Now, I'm a fairly well-read guy who keeps up on stuff. If I were in dire straights I do not have the slightest clue who I could call for help. It seems to me that such a safety net should be real clear and obvious.

I have read about a wise man who is supposed to have said something like 'That which you do to the least among you, you do to me." Andm "Do to others what'd you'd want done to you." Or something like that.

I know a couple years ago Fort Worth sent a task force to Portland, Seattle and Denver to see how those more progressive towns dealt with their homeless people problem. The task force returned impressed with what they'd seen, realizing Fort Worth had some fixin' to do.

Unless I missed it, I don't think anything has been implemented to replicate the systems the Fort Worth task force saw in Portland, Seattle and Denver.

It seems there are thousands of churches here in the Buckle of the Bible Belt. One would think the churches would feel compelled to cooperate together in some sort of community program to help people get back on their feet.

Yes, I know there is some of that type stuff out there. Help from charities and churches, I mean, but none of it is very well publicized. And there certainly is nothing I know of like what rescued the Joad Family in Grapes of Wrath, driving into a federally run camp that was there to help them get back on their feet.

I am going to go on a sunset bikeride again tonight on the Trinity Trails. I hope I see no homeless people.

6 comments:

Doohickie said...

Good article.

It's hard to talk about issues like this, because none of us is doing all we can to help.

On the west side of town, there is Christian Community Assistance which is primarily a food bank but provides other services as well. The churches that support them (including mine) refer people to them when they come around asking for handouts.

Our pastor does have some money in his budget for people who approach him. His wife buys several new, but cheap, winter coats at the beginning of winter for him to wear because he really is the kind of guy that will give you the coat off his own back.

Right now there is a double whammy: More people in need, and fewer people with disposable income to donate.

I wish I knew an answer...

Shellybelly said...

I really enjoyed reading this blog. I have been very frustrated with the homeless issues in Fort Worth for quite sometime. If I were homeless, I would not know where to go for help, there is simply not enough advertising or awareness in my opinion. I even work at JPS but wouldn't be able to tell a homeless person about our homeless program or where to seek shelter. Often times homeless people will sleep in various waiting rooms around the hospital.

Because I don't have a lot of extra money to donate I like to volunteer my time instead. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to find volunteer work in the last 3 years without success. It seems that most places are either unorganized or don't have flexible hours. I tried to volunteer for safe haven and they didn't have anything for me except during 8-5 hours (which are my work hours). I also tried to volunteer at a chemical dependency place over off E. Lancaster and they never even called me back after my first day. Then I met with Tarrant County Mental Health Association and they said they didn't really have anything for me except during the day. You would think these places would love to have an honest, educated and caring citizen to volunteer but I guess not...

Found said...

There are many churches doing hard work for the homeless. The problem is that there are very few folks in church willing to step out and make a difference.

Your wise man quote is Christ Matt 25:40. It is one of our battle cries as we go out in this effort. DFW has about 10,000 homeless. About half are trasitional (only homeless lesss tha one year).

Also, Moses and Christ both said that there will alwasys be these lost people living among us and I truly believe they are there in order that we prove our worth in a manner of speaking.

Remarkably, the homeless number does not change in DFW, due to the efforts of the mission/shelter districts in both Dallas and Fort Worth. As people become homeless, about the same number are moved into transitional housing and more permanent housing.

If you are willing to step up and help, I can help you get started. Honestly, the effort is quite rewarding in the interesting people that we meet. It will change your life and give it true meaning.

Found said...

Union Gospel Mission on Laaancaster, Mission Arlington just off of Abrams in Arlington. Both places do an excellent job.

Unknown said...

I was homeless in fort worth... assistance that will actually help you get out of the situation is hard to find. Assistance to help you live day to day is everywhere. To make it out you need one hell of a spirit and a lot of endurance. Its hard to do without any help. Very hard.

Unknown said...

There is tons of assistance for living day to day, but hardly any for actually getting out of the situation. Its really hard to get out on your own, really hard. You need one hell of a spirit to do it. But I wish I could go back to those days. Regardless of how stressful it was the people were real. They know how real life is. Now I cant relate to anyone who hasn't been either homeless or to prison. I wish I could go back, you don't have time to worry or be sad. You live like humans are meant to live. Physically work for food and shelter and anything else you need. It was the craziest and scariest time of my life at 20 years old... but after the first three months it was the happiest I have ever been or likely ever will be. Its a crazy way to live but it gave me a sense of fulfillment. But hey, I was only there for a year.