Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mother Nature Still Crying in Fort Worth

On the first day of October I got email from Don Young telling me about a new resident on Scott Avenue in east Fort Worth, near Tandy Hills Park. This being the latest Chesapeake Energy gas drilling operation to cause an uproar.

A piece of art had appeared on Scott Avenue, source unknown.

This morning I joined my Eastside Hikers group for a vigorous march all over the hills of Tandy Hills Natural Area. Sadly it's being a bit less natural these days due to the onslaught of Chesapeake bulldozers scraping the skin off a part of the Tandy Hills.

After what seemed hours of hiking we decided to go to Scott Avenue to see if the piece of art was still there. I figured it would be gone, thrown into a Chesapeake dump truck. But, no, this classic piece of Guerrilla Art, now known as "Mother Nature," is still there. Moved slightly, but still there.

In the photos Don Young sent, "Mother Nature" was to the right of one of the ubiquitous Chesapeake Energy signs. She was now on the left side of the sign and further from the road. Likely moved for her own protection.

"Mother Nature" has had some visitors who have added a few things since Don Young took his pictures. She now sports a Drilling Moratorium button. Someone has written "Mother Nature" on the right side of the red garment she is wearing. And tears have been added, rolling down "Mother Nature's" left cheek.

After I left "Mother Nature" I got on the I-30 freeway, heading east. I was surprised to learn you can clearly see this latest Chesapeake Energy bulldozing bad behavior as you drive by. The area that has been bulldozed is way bigger than I thought it would be. The next time I go hiking at Tandy Hills I think I'll head to the west side, where I rarely venture, and see if I can get some good damning photos of what Chesapeake Energy is up to in my neighborhood.

No comments: