Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Am I at the Early Stages of Alzheimers?

Yesterday something very unsettling happened to me. It was so unsettling that yesterday I didn't feel like talking about it. Today I'm not quite so unsettled.

What happened was yesterday about 3 in the afternoon I went over to Miss Puerto Rico's. I wanted to check something on her computer to see if being at a different IP address changed what I was seeing on my screen.

Miss Puerto Rico always has her security system armed. I've disarmed it dozens upon dozens of times. It's a very easy to remember 4 digit code. The code is based on an easy to remember birthday.

I unlocked Miss Puerto Rico's door. The alarm started its usual warning beeps. I went to enter the code and my mind went blank. I entered 4 digits. They were wrong. I tried again. Wrong again. You have 30 seconds to enter the code correctly. I tried a 3rd time. A 4th time. A 5th.

And then the 30 seconds were up. The screaming alarm went off. I knew this summoned the police. I stepped outside where the screaming alarm was not quite so loud and called Miss Puerto Rico, told her my brain had gone dead and that I forgot the code.

She told it to me, I entered it, the alarm shut up. But continued blinking.

A couple minutes later I was out on the balcony and saw the police arrive. Miss Puerto was called. She told them there was no problem. I was not tasered or arrested.

The incident left me thoroughly discombobulated. I came back here and pondered what had gone wrong with my brain. Early onset of Alzheimers is the only thing I can figure.

I voted today and didn't have a brain malfunction, remembering without much effort who I wanted to vote for. I used my debit card today, nervously, fearing I'd forget its 4 digit PIN. But I didn't. I went over to Miss Puerto Rico's today, again, at 3, because after yesterday's trauma I didn't get around to doing what I wanted to do on her computer. Today I was able to get in without setting off the alarm.

But, I remain hyper-vigilant for signs that my memory is failing me. So far I've seen no further signs. Well, I did forget to call my mom after I got gas today, but that's was more by circumstance and choice than not remembering. $2.44, mom, if someone is reading this to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That happened to me once in my 20's with my pin # for the ATM - with a huge line of drunks behind me at the 7/11 waiting to also get more cash, so we all could continue our drinking for the night. I made fun of the guy in front of me for forgetting his pin and then when it was my turn - my mind went blank.

So it doesn't necessarily have to do with age and alzheimers. Perhaps it has to do with being an asshole. Would you know anything about that?

Just joshing...You had a moment of total forgetfulness and then it was compounded by the anxiety and stress of forgetting. Not to mention an alarm going off.

What's the last 4 digits of your soc?

Lauri Evans said...

Oh, good grief! Any woman between the ages of late 30s to menopause knows this can happen AT ANY TIME. We suffer silently due to the machinations of our hormones...maybe it's perimenopausal...you could be the first man to go through menopause... so you got THAT going for you...which is nice.
ox lulu