Friday, May 9, 2008

I'm Not The Only Star-Telegram Basher

I am not the only Fort Worth Star-Telegram Basher. Our numbers are large and they are increasing at about the same rate as the Star-Telegram is diminishing. Below is a Letter to the Editor from today's edition. Yet one more reader cancelling his subscription. I continue to subscribe, eternal optimist that I am, hoping that somehow this paper can be fixed. I'm very naive, I admit it.



As a subscriber for many years, I’ve watched the steady decline during the past couple of years as the Star-Telegram eliminated valued, usable content and began its descent into irrelevance.

After reading the series on JPS, however, I came to realize that the newspaper is no longer concerned with objective journalism, either.

Half-truths and subjective viewpoints were passed off as fact. Information more than 2 years old was passed off as current and, worse, still valid. Information that could have presented a balanced viewpoint was ignored. Successes were ignored.

Yes, JPS has problems, as does any hospital. But much of what was purported to be wrong with JPS had already been identified, addressed and resolved.

My main problem is that your series didn’t serve the public by providing an objective look at the situation. Instead, the focus seemed to be more on sensationalism, slanted to prey on our fears and mistrust and a need to create a “crisis in healthcare.” Give us the whole story, not just half.

The real crisis lies with the Star-Telegram. I’ve had enough. After I hit the send button, I’ll be calling to cancel my subscription.

— Brad Brown, Fort Worth

No comments: