Monday, September 2, 2024

Labor Day Virtual Visit To Oklahoma's Turner Falls


Way back when I first moved to Texas, I found myself at a party, with people from all over America, but, mostly Texans.

At some point us Pacific Northwesterners were asked our opinion of Texas. I forget how the query was framed.

We all, I think there were five of us transplanted PNWers, made mention of the fact of missing seeing scenic scenery no matter what direction one looked. That the mostly flat Texas landscape was so different from what we'd been used to.

Well, one of the Texas locals said we should venture south to Texas Hill country, maybe checking out Enchanted Rock. Or, head north to Oklahoma, to the Arbuckle Mountains, and visit Turner Falls.

And so, that first Texas summer we drove north to Oklahoma, to Turner Falls, and had a mighty fine scenic time.

If you ever find yourself driving I-35 in Oklahoma, and you realize you are driving through the Arbuckle Mountains, take the exit to the town of Davis, but, do not go east to Davis, go west to Turner Falls. The road quickly turns into mountain scenery, eventually reaching a lookout, looking out over Turner Falls, far below. Make your way down the mountain to the entry to Turner Falls Park. 

Check out my now ancient webpage devoted to Turner Falls Park and you'll see why it is a fun place to visit.

That photo documentation, at the top, is me on the left, Big Ed on the right, sitting outside Outlaw Cave, above Turner Falls. Or were we sitting on part of the castle? The Turner Falls Castle is something to behold.

It was not too many years later I discovered the scenic wonders of Texas Hill country.

Dinosaur Valley State Park was my first Hill Country experience. Dinosaur Valley has some of the best mountain bike trails I have ever rolled on. And is the only place I have biked where I got totally disoriented, as in lost, with the sun starting to set. Dinosaur Valley is also a great hiking location. Miles of trails.

And then there is Enchanted Rock State Park, way further south, in Texas Hill Country. Northwest of Austin, southwest of Waco, a few miles north of Fredericksburg

The hike up Enchanted Rock is unique. There is no trail. You just make your way to the top of the rock.

With the outer world finally beginning to cool down I think I shall soon venture north to Oklahoma, to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge. Considered by some to be the most scenic location in Oklahoma.

It is only about 50 miles north of my Texas location....

No comments: