Thursday, December 28, 2023

I Did Not See A New Baby Orca Today In Puget Sound

I saw that which you see here, this morning, via the online version of the Seattle Times.

This falls into the category of things I see in a west coast news source about something I would never expect to see in a news source at my current Texas location about something like this being spotted anywhere near my current Texas location.

In nearby bodies of water, called lakes, I might see something unsettling, like a plus-sized catfish. Or a scary looking garfish.

But no orcas, also known as killer whales, which is sort of a slanderous thing to call the relatively peaceful orcas. 

If you live in the Puget Sound zone long enough, you likely will at some point encounter a pod of orcas.

I have had that experience twice. With the best one being with my mom and dad, somewhere between Anacortes and the San Juan Island called Orcas.

We were fishing for salmon, when suddenly a pod of orcas was close by. A pod of about 20, give or take an orca or two. Mom was instantly freaked out. Didn't matter that I told her they were harmless, despite their killer whale nickname.

Soon the orca pod had us surrounded. They sort of came to a stop. There were two baby orcas. One of the full-sized orcas came right up the boat, looking at us, us looking at him. Or her. The orca looked like it was smiling. Saying hello.

And then just as suddenly as they appeared, the orca pod was gone.

This orca encounter happened years before one was always armed with a camera, ready to take photos, or video, and send that which you saw out to the world.

Did not even have an old-fashioned film camera with us onboard...

No comments: