Wednesday, November 1, 2023

In Mountain=Lite Texas Going Up Tabletop Mountain & Mount Shuksan With CJ & JR


The theme of my wall calendar, this year of 2023, is scenes of The West.

For 10 months I have been flipping the calendar to the next month to see a scene of The West that I do not remember seeing.

And then, this morning, I flipped the calendar to Novembe,r and finally, a scene of The West that I have seen many times, and thus, do remember.

Mount Shuksan.

The caption under the picture of Mount Shuksan says, "Mount Shuksan, North Cascades National Park, Washington".

I did not know Mount Shuksan was in North Cascades National Park. I know a big mountain a short distance to the right, or south, of Mount Shuksan, the Mount Baker volcano, is not in North Cascades National Park.

One of my all time favorite photos has Mount Shuksan in the background.


That would be nephews JR (Jeremy Ryan), on the left, next to his big brother, CJ (Christopher Jay), on top of Tabletop Mountain, with Mount Shuksan looming behind.

This photo was taken some time in the 1990s, I think. JR was be about 8 years old, with CJ about 12, give or take a year, or two.

We hiked the switchback trail to the top of Tabletop Mountain, and then made our own trail back down the north side of the mountain, with Mount Baker looming large a short distance away. There was a lot of slipping and sliding to get off Tabletop Mountain.

Let me see if I can find other photos from that day JR & CJ went mountain climbing with me...


Here JR leads the way up Tabletop Mountain. You see a bit of Mount Shuksan to the right.


At the top of Tabletop Mountain, with Mount Baker behind him, JR threatens his favorite uncle with a snowball.


Above is a look at how we got down off Tabletop Mountain.


And here we see JR sliding towards Mount Baker.

Now, you might think my nephews are a bit under dressed to be playing on snow, wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Well, this hike up Tabletop Mountain took place in late August.

In Washington you can find frozen white stuff to slide on, year round, if you go high in the North Cascades.

No comments: