Sunday, December 1, 2019

Maxine Wool Over My Eyes With Polar Bears

The first Sunday, and first day, of the 2019 version of December is another blue sky cloud free day in Texoma.

Clear blue sky with a strong wind with cold air blowing in from the north, rendering today's bike ride slightly chilly, requiring more than the usual amount of outerwear.

It was to MSU (Midwestern State University) I eventually rolled today. Pretty much a ghost town, what with the school children in Thanksgiving vacation mode.

I did a roll by the Fantasy of Lights installation for the first time since its grand opening. There seemed to be a few new additions, but I am not sure about that, what with my faulty slightly addled memory.

I think the polar bears above may be new. A mama bear with her cub, both wearing red MAGA hats. Or they may have been just ordinary red Santa hats. I did not get close enough to make a determination.

The red polar bear hats put me in mind of yesterday on Facebook when I saw Linda Lou had posted a photo of herself and Maxine, with the caption saying something like "Look who I found at the yarn shop! Maxine!".

Maxine's more formal name is Nancy Handy. The married version of Maxine's name is Nancy Handy Scott. It was Maxine who first introduced me to hiking the Cascade mountains, decades ago, when she trail guided myself and the entity then known as Chris McR, up the Railroad Grade of Mount Baker, starting off at Schreiber's Meadow.

Seeing Maxine with Linda Lou in a yarn shop also put me in mind of Chris McR, now known as Granny McP.

To Linda Lou's Facebook yarn shop photo with Maxine I commented that I was shocked to learn Maxine was in such a shop. Due to the fact that way back in the last century I was party to the fact that Maxine and Chris McR made their own yarn. Got wool from sheared sheep, then carded it (I think carded is the term) and then spun the carded wool into yarn, and dyed it, ready to be made into garments, such as hats and sweaters and blankets.

I further commented that even now, decades later, I still have two Maxine made all natural wool caps.

I think my Maxine caps may be the only two things, besides myself, that I still have which moved with me to Texas.

Oh, I just thought of another couple things which made the move to Texas and are still around.

So, I installed one of my all natural handmade wool Maxine caps on my noggin and set the camera to Old Lady Hotpepper mode and snapped the photo you see below.


Is that not impressive? That something made way back in the last century, is in such good shape all these years later, still keeping me warm?

No comments: