Thursday, December 5, 2019

Lillian Mae McGregor Candy Canes Burns MSU Fantasy Of Lights


I do not remember if that which you see above was something I have seen previously whilst visiting the MSU Burns Fantasy of Lights. I know I have previously known the story told on this installation, explaining how the Fantasy of Lights came to be.

You can read the text on the historical marker type sign below, and then below that a closeup look at Lillian Mae McGregor, in Christmas mode, with candy canes, near the end of her life in Wichita Falls...

 Christmas 1916 

 Lillian Mae McGregor and Lester Thomas Burns were newlyweds living in Wichita Falls. They displayed a small Christmas tree on their front porch for neighbors to enjoy and thus was born the "fantasy of lights." In 1928 Lillian and L.T. built a home on the corner of Clarinda St. and Harrison Blvd. and each year added a new display. For the next forty-three years, sharing the Christmas spirit was their passion. Midwestern State University adopted the displays and continues this wonderful tradition. Lillian and L.T.'s spirits live on for all children and adults to enjoy. Look around, you might even see her handing out candy canes! 

 Merry Christmas to all!


After dark, last night, I found myself driving down Taft Boulevard where I saw the Fantasy of Lights lit up, along with all the lights on all the buildings of MSU. And the nearby Beverly Hills of Wichita Falls neighborhood, also lit up in full holiday season mode.

An impressive display of the Christmas spirit.

And last night the Fantasy of Lights was crowded with holiday celebrators walking the trails through the displays. I think the volume must be turned up when the sun goes down because I could hear the music as I drove by with my windows up.

For my eyes, the Wichita Falls Fantasy of Lights, and the surrounding university and neighborhood, is even more impressive than the formerly most impressive like thing I have ever seen, that being Arlington's Interlochen neighborhood's lighting extravaganza.

This Christmas season I must remember to do an after dark drive through the Wichita Falls Beverly Hills. There is a mansion there in the Southwest Arizona/New Mexico adobe style, which I saw yesterday whilst rolling by on my bike, has luminarias on the ground all over the property.

I first saw luminarias as a Christmas light thing way back in the year 1999, visiting mom and dad over Christmas, in Yuma. Dad drove us to a hilly Yuma neighborhood which lingers strong in my memory due to all the luminarias, and all the people sitting outside, beside the road, offering drinks and treats to those driving by. I had never seen anything like it, previously, or since...

No comments: