Saturday, December 7, 2019

Boardwalk Coming To Lake Wichita Park Place

The long talked about Lake Wichita Revitalization Project finally has a project underway.

Earth began being moved this past week near the Lake Wichita spillway, which is near the long gone former Lake Wichita boardwalk and pavilion.

I rolled my bike wheels to Lake Wichita dam this first Saturday of the 2019 version of December to find the spur off the Circle Trail atop the dam blocked by the orange fence you see my handlebars pointing at.

An earthmoving device was moving from the lake to the nearby parking lot. But I could not discern what was being moved. Or where it was being moved. All I was able to make note of was the earthmoving device was doing something to one spot on the parking lot.

It was a couple years ago I attended, along with a lot of other people, some sorta ceremony at this same location marking the start of some aspect of the lake's revitalization. I remember a half million buck check being given by Patterson Auto. And speechifying about the Army Corps of Engineers having approved something which was going to facilitate this project finally being realized.

And then nothing much has been happening, til now.


Above I am standing at the same location, but oriented to the northwest, looking across the current fishing pier and Mount Wichita hovering over the horizon in the distance.

As you can see, today was a dead calm day, no wind, pleasant temperature. A perfect day for a long bike ride.

And then I got home to find something disturbing in my mailbox. I may make mention of that tomorrow...

No comments: