Friday, January 15, 2010

Gas Driller Caused Allergy Driving Mom From Home

On December 18, 2009, I blogged about seeing something appalling while walking in Veterans Park in Arlington.

A Barnett Shale natural gas drilling rig hovered above an apartment complex, appearing to be very close to the apartments.

What about the 800 foot rule between a drilling operation and residences? Did Arlington, a town known to run roughshod over citizen's property rights, not impose any distance rules?

Doesn't the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality over see such things? Well, worded correctly, is the TCEQ not charged with the responsibility of protecting Texans and their environment?

Well, sadly, we've all come to know the answer to that question. The TCEQ has been co-opted and corrupted with the installation of natural gas industry lackeys on the Commission, letting the fox watch the henhouse in yet one more example of corruption in Texas.

After I blogged about that noisy, too close, drilling operation in Arlington, I heard from Lynda, the daughter of the nice lady I talked to who was being made miserable by the around the clock noise coming from her new neighbor.

Let me interject before I get back to Lynda. Why is it if you call 911 to report that someone is disturbing the peace, as in drilling in the middle of the night, why is this not treated by the police in the same way as it would be if an individual were producing an equally noisy decibel level?

Back to Lynda.

I heard from Lynda again today. The situation has grown more dire for her nice mom. Here's what Lynda had to tell me...

Hi Durango...

Lynda the "nice lady's daughter" again. Yes, I was a passenger in the VW.

My Mom, the nice lady has already started to have allergy problems and her apartments smells of chemicals. My daughter went to visit today and after 10 minutes, had a sore throat and runny nose and complained that my Mom's apartment smelled of chemicals. It then hit me that my Mom's recent severe allergy problems and asthma as well as headaches could well be caused by the chemicals being released from the gas drilling at the tower sitting so close to her apartment.

I then called the EPA who said I needed to call the Texas Railroad commission. I am now awaiting a call from an attorney. from the railroad commission. If nothing else, I am hoping that the property will be forced to allow her out of her lease which expires in April because with her health problems, she cannot stay there.

Whatever became of Dr. Al Armendariz? The new head of the EPA in this region. There were such high hopes, with he being the guy who had shown that the gas drilling was causing some heavy duty, dangerous pollution, that the TCEQ and the corrupt local governments, like the City of Fort Worth and its Conflicts of Interest corrupted mayor, Mike Moncrief, would somehow be giving a good sound spanking by the federal government and a no longer toothless EPA.

Where was the EPA and Dr. Al Armendariz when Fort Worth mayor, Mike Moncrief, put on his bizarre dog and pony show to announce that there is no pollution being caused in Fort Worth by the gas drillers?

It is all very perplexing. I am getting real tired of being perplexed all the time.

6 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

You're right...it's been kinda quiet in Dr. Al's corner.

TXsharon said...

Texas didn't get in this mess overnight and it won't get changed overnight. We need to stay hooked because this will be a long fight.

Unknown said...

Durango...Lynda, the nice lady's daughter again...I didn't know if you heard, but the day after you posted this, the gas drilling rig was taken down...I don't know exactly what happened, but it is gone!!

Thank you for all you do

Lynda

Durango said...

Lynda, that's good news. Maybe they've capped the well and will let it just sit there for awhile. The one across the street from me had some activity the past day and in to the night. This weird noise like a powerful blast of air. It was not loud enough, where I am, to be disturbing.

Anonymous said...

hi durango...you are not going to believe the latest . i was so happy to see that well hit the ground...a little peace and finally clean air...well wed nite i passed the site and saw two white trucks with long tanks come out of the site. two days later, i came home and there win the same spot stood a white well with an exson flag on the top. no noise and i cant smell any chemicals. i have no idea what is going on now. what do you think...by the way thanks for your interest and support. lynne mcgee (the lady with the vw bug)...til we meet again take care...

Durango said...

Howdy Lynne---
When I watched my nearby drilling operation, after the tower went away, it reappeared a couple times. After it went away the first time, soon dozens of trucks rolled in, bringing water to do the fraccing. That was very dusty. I think the worst is over for you. I hope.