Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Birds Flying North For The Winter With Incoming Freezing Rain In Fort Worth

I do not know if it is another sign of Mother Nature running amok, or what, but this morning, while I was doing my usual pool/hot tub routine, I saw 4 large herds of birds flying in formation overhead.

Three of the four formations were flying north, while the fourth confused formation was flying west.

In the Fall it is quite common to see large formations of birds of all sizes flying south, to the birding zone of South Texas or into Mexico.

I do not recollect seeing big formations of birds flying north this early. Something seems amiss.

Did the birds miss the news that Winter is not over? And that the forecast for Friday is snow, again, in North Texas. What are all these birds going to do as they fly over Oklahoma or Kansas and realize this is way too cold? Do they make a U-Turn and head back to South Texas?

I just went to get the Fort Worth forecast, for any of you birds reading this, and I see our Friday forecast has been changed from snow to freezing rain & freezing drizzle. I'm not sure what the difference is. I am not a big fan of freezing rain or drizzle. I prefer my rain to be thawed and lukewarm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I live about 40 miles West of Chicago and I've seen a massive migration of birds, multiple formations which could have been close to a thousand birds. All of them were headed North.

Anonymous said...

I've seen both ducks and flocks of birds headed North in the past week. I'm in Minnesota and it's January of 2011!
Birds are falling dead out of the sky in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Florida right now...Could there be any connection?