Sunday, October 12, 2008

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's Bail-Out Plan Stutters

A few days ago I said I had trouble understanding Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson due to all the stuttering and stammering he was doing while answering questions at a news conference.

I did not know at the time that Secretary Paulson is well-known for overcoming the hurdle of having a speech impediment. I just thought he was really nervous, overwhelmed and not used to be under such a high pressure spotlight.

I did say that I thought someone in such a position should have good communication skills, particularly when explaining something that is difficult to understand. It seems like good speaking skills would be part of the job description.

And no, I don't think someone with a speech impediment should in any way be denied whatever his talents lead him to do. But I don't think a blind person should fly airplanes. That's not in anyway discriminating against blind people, it's just common sense.

And now the bail-out plan that Henry Paulson was trying to explain has itself stuttered and morphed into something else, with the U.S. Government buying a piece of various banks, copying what the Brits are doing.

It doesn't inspire much confidence, in this voter, that there seems to be so much floundering about by those who supposedly understand this mess way better than I do.

And I'm not really all that comfortable with this Paulson guy being the government spokesman, guiding us to understand it all. As evidenced by the video below....

No comments: