Sunday, October 12, 2008

Google Adsense Not Making Sense Or Cents

I think I've mentioned my frustration with Google AdSense and Feedburner. Feedburner's monetize option has never worked right. And then they got bought by Google.

When I'd log into Google AdSense I'd get reminders that I could monetize my blog. When I first tried, nothing happened. Then last week there was a change. I was able to burn my blog. Whatever that means.

At first the burned blog just showed up as a blank page. And then a few days later it showed up as a burned blog.

I'd gone through the steps to puts ads on the feed burned blog. But no ads showed up in the feed version of my blog.

And then yesterday the ads showed up in the blog feed. One of my emailers emailed me telling me something was screwy with the ads on my blog feed. I guess she managed to somehow subscribe to the new feed in the short time it was working.

So, if you click on an ad you get this message....

"We’re sorry.The advertiser link you clicked on is no longer available.

What happened?

This publisher features feed advertising links provided by Google AdSense.Occasionally, if an advertisement has been left open in a web page or feed reader for too long, the campaign has ended and the link to the advertiser’s page no longer works. This happened to you just now. We apologize for the inconvenience and salute your unlikely timing!"

You get the above message whatever ad gets clicked on. My AdSense stats are telling me that there have been 100s of ad impressions from the feed. And not a single click. By comparison my regular non-feed blog gets many clicks per 100s of impressions. So, something is clearly amok. I'm assuming it will eventually be fixed, just like all the previous annoynances.

In the meantime, click here to see my newly burned blog feed. But don't bother clicking an ad, no matter how intriguing it looks, because all you'll get is the above error message saluting you for your unlikely timing.

But. If you can, please explain to me why a feed is preferable to just going to a blog the usual way? I don't get it.

1 comment:

Gar said...

I was never in vapors.

I was just trying to make you feel better. I could see that you were much older than me so I was trying to make you feel adequate in my super human presence. I guess I overdid it a bit.

It's hard to gauge that kind of thing.