Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Disneyland and Six Flags Over Texas

Since my first visit when I was 13, Disneyland has been one of my favorite places. There was a time when I'd go to Disneyland just about every year. In the Los Angeles zone I also had fun at Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain. I was a theme park fan.

When I moved to Texas I thought I'd be getting an annual pass to Six Flags Over Texas and go there multiple times during the year. But that was before I actually went to Six Flags Over Texas. Sadly, it is no Disneyland.

That old bald man you see above is sort of Six Flags mascot. While Disneyland has Mickey and Minnie.

Disneyland creates its own world, with the outside shut out. Walls keep you from seeing the outside world at Disneyland. At Six Flags Over Texas you can view the outside world through cyclone fence topped with barbed wire. Like a prison.

The entry into Disneyland is very efficient. You pass through the gates and walk under a railway and suddenly you are looking at Main Street with a castle at the end of the street. You know you're somewhere special. At Six Flags you go through a clunky entry that opens to a little plaza with an old Carousel spinning around.

Disneyland is neat and tidy. No chipped paint. No litter. Everything bright, shiny and clean. Six Flags has water with litter floating, broken TVs hanging above you while you wait in line, areas in need of paint, dead landscaping.

Six Flags Over Texas is very odd with the theming. The area that is supposed to be France is the closest Six Flags comes to Disneyland's quality level. Mexico has some stuff that looks Mexican and other things that seem out of place. I don't know in which 'country' the log ride is, but it is one disturbing ride. Because it's supposed to be in a north woods type setting, the water is dyed an unnatural shade of blue. Disneyland's log ride is quite elaborate, Six Flags is barebone.

The first visit to Six Flags I got in for free. A few years later I got another free pass. That was the year the Titan Hypercoaster opened. There had been some improvements. More flowers, less things in need of paint, cleaner. But the landscaping for the new Titan ride appeared to be dying due to lack of water. I've never seen anything dead or dying at Disneyland.

After the first visit to Six Flags I never again entertained the notion that I'd like an annual pass. I don't know that I'd go again even if I got paid to go.

A one day pass to Disneyland costs about $70. Six Flags Over Texas is under $30 if you buy online, $49.99 if you buy your ticket at the park. You get what you pay for. Compared to Six Flags, Disneyland is a bargain. Only 20 bucks more for an excellent high quality experience, vs. a glorified carnival.

No comments: