Monday, October 6, 2008

Chased By An Armadillo Under Stormy Texas Weather

We had our first thunderstorm in a long time, this morning, followed by the first rain in a long time. I went swimming in the rain, again. I like swimming in the rain.

Around noon I went to Village Creek Natural Historical Area to walk under the dripping oak trees. They weren't dripping too much. But the ground had turned sort of muddy. Which made it good armadillo foraging ground. I've seen a lot of armadilloes at Village Creek this year. Today was no exception.

I came across the armadillo you see in the photo with his snout buried in the mud sucking for goodies. I got real close to him to take a pic, which was easy because he was eating. If their faces are above ground the armadilloes can be a bit skittish and run away. But, if you stand still you pose no threat. Armadilloes do not see very well. If you stand still, I've had them move towards me, like they're trying to see if you might provide some good bugs to eat.

This guy came right at me. He got a bit disoriented when he got on the sidewalk, but he kept coming towards me and I started stepping back, taking pics as I did. Armadilloes are cute, and harmless, but they are also sort of creepy little throwbacks that somehow survived the extinctions of the dinosaur era. Or so it seems.

Continuing on from my Armadillo encounter I came to Village Creek. It was running a lot of water due to today's rain. I've seen it running a lot more water, often to the point where it floods over the bridges and the park has to close. Today did not get near that, but it still made for some good wild rapids.

No comments: