Saturday, September 17, 2022

Fort Worth's Tenuous Connection To Tombstone's O.K. Corral Gunfight

I saw that which you see here in today's, Saturday September 17, 2022 online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

I saw this and thought to myself is this another iteration of the Star-Telegram's habit of touting something about Fort Worth as being something special, when, well, in reality, not so special.

 Long ago, back when I subscribed to the hard copy version of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, I made note of the frequency of what I called the Star-Telegram's green with envy syndrome, where an article in the Star-Telegram would claim that some ordinary thing in Fort Worth was somehow causing towns, far and wide, to be green with envy.

Eventually I made a webpage documenting multiple examples of what I called Green With Envy Syndrome.

So, what is Fort Worth's connection to Tombstone, Arizona's famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral? You can read it yourself by clicking the The famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral: Did you know there was a Fort Worth connection? link and hope you are not blocked by a paywall.

I can tell you the condensed version of the Fort Worth connection to that famous gunfight.

Wyatt, Virgil and Morgan Earp, along with Doc Holliday had that O.K. Corral fight against Ike and Billy Clanton, Billy Claiborne, plus Tom and Frank McLaury. Both McLaury brothers and Billy Clanton were killed in the gunfight.

The McLaury brothers had a third brother, William R. McLaury, who was a Fort Worth lawyer.

And now you know the Fort Worth connection to the famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral...

No comments: