Monday, February 3, 2020

Texas Summer Heat Wave To Winter Blizzard In Two Days

Well, the winter version of summer has lasted two days, so far, at my North Texas location.

My phone just let me know that the National Weather Service has issued one of its Winter Storm Watch warnings.

Apparently tomorrow a cold front arrives with a rapid temperature drop, followed by extreme cold and snow on Wednesday.

If I was still at my old location in Western Washington I would be stocking up on supplies, anticipating a possible long instance of being snowbound. But, my experience with Texas weather is that the extreme cold never lasts long enough to cause a supply shortage problem.

I remember back in the mid 1990s being snowbound on my cul-de-sac hill in East Mount Vernon. At that point in time I grew so desperate for supplies, by about day five, that I slid my cross country skis down the hill and all the way to the grocery store then known as Thrifty Foods.

Now that I am typing that out I think this may be a false memory. Because that would be a long distance to Thrifty Foods. Maybe what I actually did was slide down the hill all the way to the AM/PM convenience store at the intersection of Waugh Road and College Way. That seems more likely.

Anyway, there will be no sliding to a grocery store from my current location. For multiple reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that I threw my cross country skis away years ago when I found that the Texas heat had caused them to delaminate.

Today I am going to enjoy this current last day of pseudo Texas summer by rolling my bike wheels on the Circle Trail through the Wichita Bluff Nature Area...

No comments: