Thursday, October 7, 2010

Another Blue Sky October Day In Texas Thinking About Fort Worth's Dangerous Neighborhood, Homeless People & Being Chased By Day Workers

As you can see, it is another blue sky morning, this 7th day of October in Texas. A chilly blue sky morning. Going swimming is being very refreshing. This morning it was warmer than yesterday morning by a degree or two.

I am ready for Daylight Savings Time to come to an end so that the sun lights up the place before 7 again.

The past couple days Fort Worth has been basking in the dubious glory of earning the distinction of having a neighborhood that was somehow determined to be the 15th Most Dangerous Neighborhood in America.

The Tandy Hills Natural Area is in that Dangerous Neighborhood. I feel quite safe when I am hiking on the Tandy Hills.

There is an area in Fort Worth's Dangerous Neighborhood that does look a bit dangerous when you drive by. I am talking about the section of Lancaster Avenue where homeless people collect, with incredibly large numbers of homeless people milling about.

When I first moved to Fort Worth I experienced quite a bit of culture shock. I remember checking out the Fort Worth Water Gardens. At that point in time Interstate 30 was still overhead above Lancaster Avenue. As I was leaving the Water Gardens I saw a statue on the south side of the street, and I believe south of the overhead interstate.

I parked my van and got out to inspect the statue. Next thing I knew dozens of men were running towards me, with looks of desperation on their faces. What fresh hell is this, I wondered?

Then, suddenly they stopped running towards me, looked disappointed and turned around and walked back to their shelter under the freeway.

The statue I was stopping to look at was a monument to the Fort Worth Texas Spring Palace tragedy. When I mentioned the guys running towards me incident, to a local, it was explained to me that these were "day workers" desperate for work. People wanting to take advantage of real cheap under the table labor would pull up in a van or truck and haul off some guys to do some odious task.

I was appalled. I already knew I was now in a different country from the one I had been living in, but this seemed way too different. I believe after the freeway came down those "day workers" were moved to the location on Lancaster Avenue where you now see a lot of people milling about.

I think I'll likely be going to Fort Worth's most dangerous neighborhood to do me some hill hiking later today, likely late in the afternoon. I will hike armed with my whacking stick, now that I know I'm in a dangerous place.

2 comments:

sarah r said...

You realize this happens in Seattle? The one spot I know of is under the bridge at Yesler and 4th Ave because it's a main thoroughfare for the bus. I've heard of others, too. It used to be that it was all hispanics hanging out at the parking garage waiting for someone to pull up. In the last 2 years the homeless people have taken to sleeping there because of the bridge -- about 30-40 people a night, men on one side of the street and women/disabled on the other. They just get up and wait. But it isn't hispanics any more.

Durango said...

Sarah R, the last time I was in Seattle I had a nightmare of a time trying to find a parking lot. I believe I happened upon the spot you speak of. I did not realize they were there hoping someone would come hire them. They sure did not coming running at me like what happened in Fort Worth that was so startling.