Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Olive The Prairie Dog Official Mascot Of The Tandy Hills Is In Wikipedia

This morning I Googled "Tandy Hills Natural Area" to learn that there is now a Wikipedia Tandy Hills Natural Area article.

I Googled "Tandy Hills Natural Area" because I was curious to see how the Tandy Hills was currently being indexed on Google.

A couple years ago Don Young emailed me asking if I could tell him why my Tandy Hills webpage, and various bloggings about the Tandy Hills, showed up in searches before the official Tandy Hills website.

I explained that my Tandy Hills webpage was likely getting ranked high by Google because I was linking to it every time I blogged about the Tandy Hills. I said I'd stopped doing that and that would likely fix the "problem".

So, I was pleased to see that the official Friends of Tandy Hills Natural Area website now Googles #1. My Eyes on Texas Tandy Hills webpage is not only no longer #1, it doesn't not even show up on the first page of results!

The Wikipedia article about the Tandy Hills Natural Area is illustrated by a photo of Olive the Prairie Dog (Official Tandy Hills Mascot) playing in a field of wildflowers.

Below are the three paragraphs making up the Wikipedia article about the Tandy Hills Natural Area....

Tandy Hills Natural Area is a 160-acre (0.65 km2) indigenous remnant prairie located in Fort Worth, Texas. The land was obtained by the City of Fort Worth in 1960 and designated a natural area in 1987. The park is currently managed by the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge.

Noted for its unusually complete collection of prairie flora, THNA contains more than 500 native plant species. The show of spring wildflowers is unsurpassed in the D/FW Metroplex. The land is a living demonstration of how most of Fort Worth appeared in predevelopment times.

THNA is adjacent to I-30 and less than 5 minutes from downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The fact that it has never been developed and survived into the 21st century in relatively pristine condition is extremely remarkable.

1 comment:

Don Young said...

Sorry to tell you but, that is not Olive. That wiki page was created B.O. Before olive existed. That is my neighbors dog, named Boo Dog.