Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday's Van Vandalism, Stolen Bike, Torrential Downpours & Tornado Sirens

This is not being a Good Saturday.

Very stormy.

In more ways than one.

Around noon I headed out of here to go to Oakland Lake Park to walk around Fosdic Lake.

When I opened my van door I saw a piece of plastic on the floor. I wondered what it was and where it came from.

I then got in the van to see that the steering wheel had been moved to the low position. I thought this odd, but started up the vehicle and took off.

I'd only gone a couple blocks when I looked at the steering column and saw it'd been broken.

Someone tried to steal the van.

But, it was locked, no window had been broken like the previous attempted theft incident.

About halfway to Oakland Lake Park I had a sudden impulse to turn around to check on my bike.

My bike was gone. Thieves stole my bike.

I got to Oakland Lake Park and tried  to see how it was the thieves broke in. I found nothing.

I called the police. The operator could not figure out where Oakland Park was, in order to direct a cop to my location to make a report. I said I'd call again when I got home.

But, events intervened that have kept me from calling the police.

I was soon off the phone to the police when it became clear a bad storm was brewing. By the time I got to the van all hell had broken loose. Heavy wind, heavy rain. As in real heavy rain. I turned on the headlights. They were stuck on high beam due to the damage.

The drive back here was real slow due to all the water on the road and very low visibility When I got back here I sat waiting for it to let up when the tornado sirens went off.

I've not heard the tornado sirens in a long long time.

Eventually the tornado sirens stopped and I made it back under cover.

During lunch I saw the local weather guys in full court storm press. A lot of possible tornado action out there.

I decided to put off calling the cops til tomorrow, due to it raining real hard out there.

I'm trying to make lemonade out of this stolen bike/vandalism incident, but it ain't easy.

3 comments:

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

D, Sorry for your misfortune. The joiks!! Feels awful, doesn't it?

Durango said...

Betty Jo, you're right, not a good day in Durango Land.

Steve A said...

I hope you recover your bike. Its doubly bad to lose the bike AND have damage remaining with the van as a reminder.