Saturday, February 17, 2024

Saturday Frigid Frolic At Lucy Park


Since I was in the neighborhood to pick up some prescriptions from a pharmacy, I found myself at Lucy Park, as evidenced by the photo documentation, looking at the Lucy Park suspension bridge, suspended over the swollen reddish-brown Wichita River.

With hardly any weather forecaster warning such would happen, the temperature went well below freezing last night.

By the time the sun arrived, this third Saturday of the second month of 2024, a strong wind was blowing, with the weather forecasters now forecasting extreme cold today, with a steady wind around 25 mph, which gusts in the 40 mph range.

The temperature was 36 degrees when I arrived at Lucy Park. Looking at my phone I saw the wind's wind chill factor had those 36 degrees feeling like 24 degrees.

I had on my fur-lined sweatpants, two long-sleeved sweatshirts, an insulated hooded jacket, gloves and I forget what else, but I was still cold. 

I lasted 19 minutes til strong gusts hitting me on the exposed part of my face had me quickly retreating to the wind-free comfort of my mechanized means of motion.

Tomorrow, if the weather forecaster is to be believed, warm weather returns...

No comments: