Saturday, February 10, 2024

Microsoft Memory Of Mount Rainier From Kent


The photo you see here showed up this second Saturday of the second month of 2024, in my email, a Microsoft OneDrive Memory from this Day, that I do remember, but it certainly was not on this day.

This photo was taken way back in October of 2005. Flying out of D/FW I found myself seated next to a mom and her three kids who were refugees from New Orleans, stuck in D/FW after escaping the Katrina Hurricane, they were heading to Washington to stay with relatives in Bremerton.

The flight that time routed through Las Vegas, switching to another plane to continue on to Seattle. I'd been in the Las Vegas airport a time or two. The Katrina mom was a bit frazzled so I offered to help her navigate to the next plane. 

It was well after midnight we landed at Sea-Tac. A ghostly empty airport. The person who was supposed to pick me up, was not there. I called her to learn she'd left for the airport a few minutes prior. She was coming from Tacoma. So, I knew I had about a half hour wait. 

I soon came upon the mom and her three kids, also waiting. Their relative was not there, either. I told her I would have a car in about an hour and could come pick them up and deliver them to Bremerton, if need be. Gave her my cell number. I never heard from her again. I assume they made it to Bremerton.

The photo above was taken after my sister called me as she was driving to work to tell me The Mountain was out and looking good. I was at my sister's in Kent, that is a suburb of Seattle, between Seattle and Tacoma.

After getting the call about The Mountain being out, I grabbed my camcorder and headed down the hill a short distance to Lake Meridian, which is the lake you see in the photo, with Mount Rainier looming large.

The photo is a screenshot from the video I took of the walk down the hill to see The Mountain.

Of late I am starting to wonder if I am ever going to see a real mountain again...

No comments: