Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Finally A Wichita Falls Flash Flooding Downpour Thunderstorm


This morning I went walking with Linda Lou in the Lawrence Street Walmart. Whilst walking Linda Lou asked me about the weather. I told Linda Lou heavy rain and thunderstorms were predicted, but currently we remain under a clear blue cloud-free sky.

And then, around 5 this afternoon, without Linda Lou, I drove the short distance to the Greenbrier Walmart. By then rain was beginning to drip. And I saw lightning striking in the distance.

By the time I got to Walmart rain was falling in a greater volume than the drippage was dripping when I began my short journey.

I was barely in Walmart when my phone acted up, warning me about an eminent dangerous thunderstorm.

Soon rain began pounding the Walmart roof like thousands of hammers, with bass drum booms from lightning strikes.

It was extremely noisy in Walmart.

After being in the store for only a few minutes, it was checkout time. The rain was then coming down in downpour flashflood mode. A crowd of people stood at the exit, apparently hoping for the drenching to end.

But, I like a good soaking, so I took off running, at high speed. By the time I got to my vehicle I was as drenched as if I'd jumped in a swimming pool.

The photo at the top is looking south through my thoroughly wet windshield.

From this high speed running I realized that all the walking I have done the past year has me in way better shape than I realized. I think excessive walking must be much better exercise than bike riding.

By the time I got back under my carport the drenching seemed to have amped up. My abode was already in surrounded by a moat mode.

I decided, since I was already totally soaked, that I'd take off running again, going the long way around, where the moat is not as deep. 

The rain has slowed. I expect to soon see a rainbow...

No comments: