Saturday, June 4, 2022

Humid Goose Stepping With Feisty Sikes Lake Geese


Yesterday saw rain falling nonstop for hours. Eventually, after hours of being housebound, I made my way across the moat-like flooded zone surrounding my abode to my motorized motion device to drive to Walmart.

Today, the first Saturday of the 2022 version of June, a mostly clear sky has returned, along with extreme humidity making 77 degrees feel way hotter.

Before noon I decided to roll that aforementioned motorized motion device to Sikes Lake to join the throngs of humans and geese.

The group of goslings you see above, with their maternal parental unit guarding them, greeted me where I parked. Mother goose did not hiss too much at me when I walked around her babies.


A quarter mile later, on the south end of Sikes Lake, I stopped walking when I came to a large gang of geese who then started chasing me when they saw I was taking their picture.

Geese are so temperamental. I think they were being extra feisty today due to being happy it is not raining and not windy.

Most of the Sikes Lake geese belong to a flock. But you do see some loners, or pairs, and wonder if they had been banished for some reason. Or are they just anti-social geese?

I think if I were a goose I would choose not to be in a flock...

No comments: