Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Rainy Wichita Falls Library Return With Lucy Park Plaque Walk


That is the entry to the Wichita Falls Public Library you are looking at, shrouded by trees.

I was last at the library two Saturdays ago, as in 10 days ago, and somehow managed to read the four books I checked out that day and so needed to return to check out four more.

Maybe I should check out more than four, that or slow down my reading speed. But it gets cumbersome carry so many books in my book bag. Five might be my limit.

The forecast for today is for heavy rain and severe thunderstorms. Leaving the library the sky looked menacing, but, even so, I decided to go to nearby Lucy Park for a brisk walk of a mile or two.

Eventually rain began to drip, but I made it back to my vehicle without getting soaked.

A few days someone asked me if Lucy Park was named after Lucille Ball. I recollect when first hearing this park's name wondering why it was named such.

There is a plaque stuck to a big boulder by the Lucy Park Duck Pond which explains the name.


Lucy O'Neill Saunders was a Wichita Falls oil baroness. That is not mentioned on the plaque. I learned that elsewhere. Lucy owned the land which is now Lucy Park, land which was donated in her mother's memory by Frances Ann Dickinson.


No comments: