Friday, October 22, 2021

Today's Look At Mount Baker For Thelma McNutty

 

I saw that which you see above, this morning, on Facebook, via a posting by Miss Beth of Sedro Woolley.

This view of Mount Baker is from the town of Conway, which is a few miles south of the town I moved to Texas from, Mount Vernon.

I was able to see Mount Baker from my kitchen window in Mount Vernon. I see nothing remotely resembling a mountain when I look out of my Texas kitchen window.

I remember the first time I saw the Rocky Mountains not being all that impressed. The Rocky Mountains did not seem as tall as the Washington, and other west coast, mountains. This perplexed me, because the elevation of many of the mountains in the Rocky Mountain range is higher than mountains in the Cascade Mountain range.

Then one day my simple mind realized why the Rocky Mountains did not look as tall as Washington mountains. 

Conway, and Mount Vernon, and Sedro Woolley, and Burlington, and the rest of the Skagit Valley Flats are only a few feet above sea level. Mount Baker's elevation is 10,781 feet. 

When you are in Denver you are about a mile above sea level. That cuts about 5,280 off the perceived height of the Rocky Mountains.

Mystery solved.

I hope today's Mount Baker photo activates Thelma McNutty's homesickness. A concerted effort has been underway to make Thelma homesick for Washington, so that she will return next summer after having been away from many things Washingtonian for around half a century...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The old Seattle Center / Keys Arena has been reborn as Climate Change Arena. There aren't enough superlatives to describe how incredible this new, yet old venue is.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/32313370/first-look-seattle-kraken-home-climate-pledge-arena