Sunday, January 6, 2019

Wichita Falls Lucy Park Flood Gone But Not Forgotten

Last Sunday I found myself Checking Out Wichita Falls Lucy Park Flood.

A week later, on this first Sunday of the new year of 2019, what with the outer world temperature predicted to possibly get as high as 70, I opted to return to Lucy Park to check out the park's current status.

Well.

Driving into Lucy Park one would never guess that a week prior doing such was impossible, what with the Wichita River flooded up to the entry to the park.

Today the Wichita River is still running high, but leaving Lucy Park dry, except for a few ponds which have not yet evaporated.

I parked at the parking lot by the swimming pool and log cabin. There was no indication the flood had reached either. I then walked towards the Lucy Park Pagoda. En route I walked over some paved trails on which flood residue of the sticks, leaves and mud sort remained.

The Pagoda was untouched by the flood. But, in the photo you can see the area which flooded behind the Pagoda. Speaking of that Pagoda, can anyone tell me what the deal is with Wichita Falls and all the Japanese Pagodas in various forms ones sees around town?

Last week after I blogged about the Lucy Park flood I posted the blogging on the Wichita Falls Rants and Raves Facebook page, asking if this was the worse Lucy Park flood ever. And asked if the suspension bridge over the Wichita River survives such a flooding inundation.


Well, that Rants and Raves post generated dozens of informative comments, from which I learned there has been far worse flooding of the Wichita River. And that the suspension bridge always survives.

I confirmed the suspension bridge survival by crossing it. I had to make my way past the geezer who seemed to be fishing for something, and then cross a lot of flood residue piled up on the bridge deck. Crossing this was a bit unsettling. As there are some gaps in the planks one walks across on. Having those planks covered with mud rendered them disguised and not revealing any potential gaps.

But, turned out I have no reason to worry. I made it easily back and forth across the bridge. I did find the swaying more unsettling than the norm, what with the river still running high. That fisherman fishing for who knows what was also a bit unsettling.

Eventually during the course of my walkabout Lucy Park I did come to some areas where the flood was more evident.


Such as that which you see above. It appears flood debris shoved one of the park's swinging benches off its connection to the ground, pushing it up against some tree trunks.

All in all I had myself a mighty fine walkabout Lucy Park today, and was surprised by how little muddy residue was left behind when the Wichita River retreated.

No comments: