Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Freezing MSU Walk With Santa, Humpty, Dorothy And A Pirate

To try and recover from last night's rollicking New Year's Eve festivities I decided to layer on the insulating outer wear and venture to the abandoned campus of Midwestern State University to have myself a shivering sub-freezing walkabout.

At one point whilst walking I saw a window which seemed more like a mirror than a window. And so I aimed my old-fashioned non-phone digital camera at the window so as to take a primitive version of a selfie photo.

As you can see I am still wearing part of my Santa outfit, in the spirit of the holiday.

Oh. Before I forget.

Happy New Year.

I do not succumb to that tiresome New Year's Resolution thing.

But, if I did, I would resolve to drop a few pounds. I returned from my last visit to Arizona having gained some poundage, as in this is the first new year in years in which I start the new year weighing more than 200 pounds. I do not like being so hefty. So, I think I will melt off this excess poundage this month.

Or at least get rid of it before heading to South Padre Island for this year's Spring Break.

The New Year's Day walkabout on the MSU campus took me by the Fantasy of Lights Merry Christmas Happy Holiday installations. Some of these installations are a bit perplexing as to what the Happy Holiday Merry Christmas connection is.



Such as the Humpty Dumpty Egghead you see above. Maybe I am not remembering Humpty's connection to Christmas.

And, behind Humpty Dumpty, Dorothy is leading Toto, the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow away from the Emerald City of Oz, on the Yellow Brick Road. In addition to the Wizard of Oz not seeming to have a Christmas connection I do not remember Dorothy leading the way away from the Emerald City on the Yellow Brick Road. Dorothy directed her gang towards Oz and the Emerald City on the Yellow Brick Road, if my memory is serving me correctly.

But, I suppose some poetic license is to be expected with installations of this sort.

Does poetic license explain the next entry in the Fantasy of Lights?


A pirate ship, with some damsels in jeopardy, tied to a mast, whilst a pirate wields a sword.  Maybe this is part of a Christmas tale which I was not blessed with when I was a youngster being read Christmas stories.

I do remember when I was a wee lad, dad would every Christmas read my brother and me that Christmas story or poem or whatever it is which begins something like "T'was the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse..."

Anyway, let me say it again...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: