Monday, February 6, 2017

Pre Super Bowl Wichita Falls Nature Bluff Hike

Yesterday, prior to going to ALDI for my Super Bowl Party supplies I thought it might be interesting to check out the current status of Wichita Falls and the Wichita Bluff Nature Area.

A month or so ago I read in the Wichita Falls Times News Record that Wichita Falls was going to be having some work done. A new bridge, trail upgrade to the Circle Trail and a thing or two I am not  remembering.

I  thought I understood that this remodeling was a ready to go project with one of the points of the article being that access to Wichita Falls would be slightly compromised during the process of the upgrade, which I thought was to be quickly underway.

Apparently I thought wrong, because it looked to me as if nothing has been done in the area of Wichita Falls and it did not appear that anything was being prepared to be done.

It was a good walk to the falls, though. A lot of other people were also enjoying that walk along the Wichita River.

Speaking of which, yesterday was the first time I've seen the Wichita River not in muddy red river mode. It looked like normal river water, not that color that always reminds me of Utah type redrock,

After checking out Wichita Falls I meandered back to Lucy Park and then drove west to the Wichita Bluff Nature Area, where I was expecting to see the project finally back being worked on after a long delay due to problems with the contractor the city had hired, who had to be replaced.


In the instance of the Wichita Bluff Nature Area the information I read in the Wichita Falls Times News Record matched what I saw. As in there has been a lot of work done since I last checked out this project.

I did not know what to make of those four coffin shaped cement structures, you see above, which have been added just outside the covered pavilion.

I saw a lot of work has been done on the bridge across the gully at the bottom of the bluff. And a lot of trail work is underway.

Judging  by what  I saw yesterday I would hazard to guess that when the Wichita Bluff  Nature Area is available for hiking it will quickly become my favorite go to place for that type activity, in the same way the Tandy Hills Nature Area used to be when I was incarcerated in the D/FW zone of Texas.

No comments: