Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In Texas Thinking About Eleanor Grigby & Long Ago Fondue

You are looking at Eleanor Grigby and her Black Labrador, Emma. Eleanor snail mailed me the picture, with it arriving yesterday. I assume Eleanor and Emma are sitting on the ground somewhere in Seattle, since that is where Eleanor and Emma live.

Eleanor and I started school together in the first grade. And continued to go to the same school all the way through the 2nd year of college.

Eleanor's dad gave me my first experience with catching cod out in the Straits of Juan de Fuca near Cattle Point off San Juan Island.

We caught so much cod that day. When we got back on land Eleanor's dad made what remains in my memory as the best fried fish I've ever had.

My tales of all the cod we caught directly led to my mom and dad buying their first boat. This led to an even bigger boat, which eventually led us back to Cattle Point for the most scary boating experience I ever had, with the seas so rough our tiny ship was tossed like a cork. We high-tailed it out of there.

During our high school years Eleanor introduced me and others to the concept of fondue, with her elaborate Fondue Parties. I don't remember if the Fondue Parties were tied to the annual Academy Award Party at Eleanor's, or not.

I remember one memorable night with Eleanor. It was after a football game and post-game dance. We went to get in my car, a 1964 Chevy Impala. We were in the car sitting on the seat before realizing the windshield had been totally smashed in, with us sitting on the shattered remains. I have absolutely no recollection as to what we did next. Did I clear out the broken glass and drive without the windshield? I'll have to ask Eleanor if she remembers.

I think the last time I saw Eleanor in person was in 1991. I think the last time I spoke to Eleanor, via a phone, was in 2001, when I was in Seattle for my mom and dad's 50th.

I am not much of a fan of Facebook. It seems a marginal improvement over that abomination known as MySpace, which I really did not like.

But there is one thing I have liked about Facebook. It has re-connected me with a lot of people and I've found that to be quite enjoyable.

I forgot, I also like Facebook for Scrabble. I really think getting beaten regularly by the Scrabble Queens of Washington and California has sharpened my lazy brain.

Eleanor Grigby is coming to Texas soon.

1 comment:

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Eleanor and her doggy look so cute.