Friday, June 6, 2008

National Donut Day

Good Gawd. Not barely a minute after I write longwindedly about the need to go on a National Diet I learn that today is National Donut Day! The most obese nation on earth needs a day to celebrate the donut!?

I can see where it'd make sense if the state I am in had a State Donut Day. I've never seen so many donut stands as there are here. There seem to be more donut stands here in Texas than the ridiculous number of espresso joints all over the Seattle zone.

Okay, I'll admit I've had a donut or two in my day. I've actually had more donuts than espresso. I never jumped on the espresso bandwagon. I hated all that coffee talk, did not want to learn that lingo just to order a cup of coffee. When Krispy Kreme arrived with much brouhaha and huge crowds, in Arlington, well, I had to taste what the fuss was about. Krispy Kremes are good, especially when hot out of the fryer.

But, I'll eat, at most, 2, of the overly sweet things. I've seen obese people sitting inside Krispy Kreme eating one after another. And taking a couple boxes home with them. I think donuts should carry a federally mandated warning, just like cigarettes do. Because, it seems obvious from all the porkers wolfing them down that they don't know the health downside from consuming so many empty calories of sugar and fat.

Is there a National Cigarette Day? I guess I could look it up. How about a National All You Can Eat Buffet Day? Is there a National Do Nothing But Sit On Your Butt Day? I'm guessing not. Is there a National Beer Day? There should be. I like beer. And I don't have a beer gut. Or a beer butt, either.

I guess I should walk across the street to my local Krispy Kreme pusher, Albertsons, and get me a donut to celebrate this National Holiday.

No comments: