Monday, March 4, 2013

Mayor Betsy Price Thinks The Late Nancy Bass & Her Four Sons Made Fort Worth One Of The Greatest Cities In The World

In the picture you are looking at a campaign ad for Betsy Price from the mayoral election that installed Betsy Price as Fort Worth's replacement for Mayor Mike Moncrief.

I don't know if it is some sort of tradition that Fort Worth mayors say and do goofy things, or what. I think I've only experienced two Fort Worth mayors, those being Moncrief and Price. I don't remember who was mayor before Moncrief.

Moncrief did really goofy things, such as dying the Trinity River purple and having a downtown Fort Worth shoot out with Texas Governor Rick Perry. Moncrief also said memorably goofy things which I am currently not remembering, so I guess the memorably goofy things were not all that memorable.

Last month Fort Worth's Mayor, Betsy Price, said a memorably goofy thing about Fort Worth being the Envy of the Nation due to a new Police & Firefighter Training Center. Mr. Galtex pointed me to this mayoral goofiness, which had me blogging about it in Mayor Betsy Price Thinks Fort Worth Will Once Again Be The Envy Of The Nation.

Last night, on his way to Lisbon, Portugal, for lunch, with Mrs. Galtex, I heard from Mr. Galtex again, with some new goofiness from Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price.

Speaking about the recent passing of Fort Worth notable, Nancy Bass, Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price said, "She left an indelible mark in our community as a compassionate leader and as a mother of four boys who would become instrumental in defining Fort Worth's reputation as one of the greatest cities in the world."

I guess it is important for a town's mayor to be a cheerleader for their town. But, when the cheerleading becomes sort of delusional, it becomes a tad worrisome.

There is methodology where the world's cities are analyzed by their importance to the global economic system. New York City and London are at the top of all the various rankings of this sort. A City which has reached a certain level of importance to the global economic system is known as Global City.

From Wikipedia a blurb about what a Global City is...

A global city (also called world city or sometimes alpha city or world center) is a city generally considered to be an important node in the global economic system. The concept comes from geography and urban studies and rests on the idea that globalization can be understood as largely created, facilitated, and enacted in strategic geographic locales according to a hierarchy of importance to the operation of the global system of finance and trade.

Go to the Wikipedia Global City article and you will find several lists listing Global Cities by various criteria.

Fort Worth is not on any of the Global City lists. Dallas is. Austin is. Houston is. San Antonio is. But, Fort Worth is not. Many other cities in America are on the various lists, like Seattle. But not Fort Worth.

So, one can not help but wonder by what criteria it is that Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price determines that Fort Worth has a reputation as one of the greatest cities in the world?

Very, very perplexing....

6 comments:

Spelling Police said...

"Mayor Betsy Price Thinks The Late Nancy Bass & Her For(sic) Sons Made Fort Worth One Of The Greatest Cities In The World"
Hmmm...I think someone needs a proofreader.

Just Curious said...

Why is your blog called "Durango Texas"?

Mr Galtex said...

Perplexing to me, too. I think FW has a serious inferiority complex, which is unfortunate because in many ways it's a very pleasant place.

(P.S. You don't have to print this part, but your title says "For (sic) Sons", an unfortunate typo from someone who is the envy of bloggers the world over.)

Durango said...

Oops, Spelling Police & Mr. G. When I first typed that title I used the number "4", then did not like how that looked, so changed it to "For".

I really do need a proof reader. Any volunteers?

Durango said...

Just Curious, way back in the last century, prior to the WWW getting big, my nickname was Durango. My first website was called Dialing Doctor Durango. This eventually became The Durango Files. Then the first year I was in Texas I got a domain and called it durangotexas, as in durangotexas.com. Durango because that was my nickname, Texas because that was where I was. At that point in time I did not realize there was a town in Texas called Durango. When I started this blog, calling it durangotexas seemed the natural thing to do.

Fort Worth Horn Tooter said...

Well, Durango, just because Fort Worth is not on your list of world cities does not mean for one minute, that it is not on the Fort Worth list of world class cities.
I can have that list ready any time you need it. In fact, Fort Worth is a preeminent global city- the nexus of transportation corridors where the West begins.