Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Futile Arlington Armadillo Lunch Hunt With Ducks

I was back walking with the Indian Ghosts who haunt Arlington's Village Creek Natural Historical Area on this 1st Sunday of the 3rd month of 2013.

We are currently being heated to above 60 degrees in the outer world at my location. That is the warmest it has been for quite a few days.

In the picture you are standing on one of the dam/bridges over which the VCNHA paved trail crosses, looking south at a couple of the dams that dam up water to create canals for Interlochen.

I was hoping to find lunch today whilst walking, that being lunch in the form of an armadillo. But I saw no armadillos. I did see some squirrels, turtles and ducks, none of which sounded as tasty as an armadillo.

Last night, via Wikipedia, in a Wikipedia article titled Nine-Banded Armadillo, I learned the following...

During the Great Depression, the species was hunted for its meat in East Texas, where it was known as the poor man’s pork, or the "Hoover hog" by those who considered President Herbert Hoover to be responsible for the depression. Earlier, German settlers in Texas would often refer to the armadillo as Panzerschwein ("armored pig").In 1995, the nine-banded armadillo was, with some resistance, made the state small mammal of Texas, where it is considered a pest and is often seen dead on the roadside. They first forayed into Texas across the Rio Grande from Mexico in the 19th century, eventually spreading across the southeast United States.

A Hoover Hog? Because armadillo tastes like pork?

I did not know that the armadillo being made the state small mammal of Texas was controversial. I also did not know armadillos are considered, by some, to be a pest.

I figured the armadillo was the state small mammal of Texas because they are just so darn cute and cuddly.

The lunch bell just rang.

Pizza.

With no roasted or barbecued armadillo

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey. Zelda del West here, writing from Walla Walla. The exile has ended.

Durango said...

Congratulations, Zelda, on your successful escape from Texas. I can't remember the last time I've been in Walla Walla. You'll no longer be subjected to Texas 1015 Sweet Onions. Now you'll be able to get fresh from the field Walla Walla Sweet Onions. My grandma used to say you could eat them like an apple. I tried to do that once, with one big bite. Grandma was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Let us readers know when you get a chance to enjoy barbecued armadillo. Back when you were in Washington did you ever eat the Olympic Marmot? I would assume the Marmot would be a bit harder to catch.

Unknown said...

Grandma was wrong about some things, but now the Columbia Valley is wine country. Wine is good. Also, you can make an armadillo into stew using it's own armor as the pot. I did post the video once and might even find it again just in case. You should be nice to armadillos. They can also give you leprosy.

Durango said...

Zelda, methinks I will stay away from making armadillo stew. The Columbia Valley and Yakima Valley were already wine zones whilst I still lived in the Evergreen State. Have the vineyards taken over from the onion fields?

Unknown said...

Both are still going strong. The vinyards have grown huge, though.