Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Having Myself A Happy 68th Birthday In Flat Texas

I am up early, again, on this, the second Wednesday of August. I know you are wondering if the picture is the view from my patio, this morning, as I sit outside, in the pre-dawn morning chill, of 81 degrees, drinking coffee.

I wish that was my patio view, but, sadly, no matter what direction I look from my current location I will see neither a mountain or a waterfall.

What you are looking at, in the picture, is Mount Rainier, with the top of Myrtle Falls in the foreground. Mount Rainier is a mountain in Washington. The tallest. It's the only iconic image on the Washington license plate, unlike the Texas plate which is cluttered with a lot of little images, some of which make sense to me.

In about 7 hours it will be exactly 2 years since I last saw Mount Rainier up close. I can remember this precisely because 2 years ago, today, on my birthday, I went to Mount Rainier. It does not seem like it can already be 2 years since I nearly fell to my death from a ladder on Mount Rainier, well, more accurately, from a ladder very near to Mount Rainier.

The latch I was holding on to broke loose, sending me, nearly, falling backwards.

So, today I turn 68. I really don't feel that old, I feel older. I do my age calculation by adding my chronological age to how old I feel to how old I look and then divide by 3 to arrive at today's age of 68.

The feeling old is coming from I'm being very sore, in a decrepit sort of way. Sore muscles, and my feet are aching. Like I'm thinking what the joints and bones in my feet and knees are aching like is what old people mean when they say their rheumatism is acting up.

Now that I'm a Senior Citizen I'm getting what old folks mean when they say getting old is not easy. And don't get me started on the trauma of my hair falling out. It's constantly annoying. At least it hasn't gone gray yet, so I suppose I should be grateful for that.

That's me and my Mount Rainier Happy Birthday date, Janet, on the left, in the picture, with Mount Rainier behind us. I've aged so much in 2 years I don't think I could convince a young lady, like Janet, to go up a mountain with me anymore.

But, there are plenty of old ladies out there who might be willing to go up a mountain with a 68 year old geezer. If only there were any mountains within a 300 mile range of my current forlorn location.

I have no idea what is ahead of me today, on my hopefully happy, 68th birthday.

Except, for being fairly certain, in a few minutes, I will be swimming. After that, who knows?

12 comments:

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Why don't you celebrate your birthday today by treating your aching body to a massage. Maybe it will relieve some of the pains in your 68 year old body? (we all know you are really 69 - can't hide it Durango) Happy Birthday!

MLK said...

You are not 68 years old. I do not believe you.

I see Mt. Rainier every morning in clear weather. From my living room. Love it.

Durango said...

Betty Jo, that was cruel of you to reveal my real age. Are you offering to provide personal massage service?

MLK, it's true, when you add my chronological age to how old I feel to how old I look and divide by 3 it comes to 68. But, I must admit, doing math is not a forte of mine.

I used to see Mount Baker from my kitchen. Mount Rainier was not available from that location. Mount Rainier from a living room window would be real good thing.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your 68th birthday, it just seems like you turned 56 a year ago, however....either way you are still one of my oldest (and for sure, wisest) living relatives.

Durango said...

Anonymous, you are a relative impostor. Your impostor-ness made obvious due to the fact that none of my living relatives think I'm wise. And, very kind of you to point out that I've aged 12 years since last year's calculation of my age.

Anonymous said...

It takes a wise relative to recognize a wiser one!

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Durango, I don't give massages, I just enjoy them. I have arthritis you know.

Durango said...

Betty Jo, I'm sorry I misunderstood about your kind offer to be a masseuse, it's just one more age-related confusion on my part. Also, I did not know you had arthritis. It's a living hell getting old and creaky. At least you are blessed with an ample derriere to take a soft, comfy rest on when your arthritis gets too much to bear.

Anonymous said...

I`ll give you a late B/D massage Mr. D. All you have to do is get up to my area. Give me a call when arrive.

Tootsie Tonasket

some redhead said...

happy belated birthday! you don't look a day over 67!

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I feel like a victim of discrimination! What about some young ladies going on that hike with you? Wouldn't it be advisable to have someone a bit younger accompany you on such an adventure... with you being in an advanced aged condition? Really...I think I would be better at administering CPR than some old lady... ;-)

Durango said...

CT2---Thank you for putting some quality thought into the hiking companion issue. I have trouble keep up with young-uns like you without getting a case of the vapors.