Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Rain Brings Color Cacophony To Lucy Park With Locked Suspension Bridge


Yesterday, the first Tuesday of the 2022 version of April, saw the outer world, at my location, heated to hotter than Death Valley.

95 degrees.

Midday Tuesday, I drove in air-conditioned comfort to Lucy Park to commune with nature. Monday's storming left the outer world a bit damp and muddy. With the big infusion of incoming water causing a lot of foliage sprouting. 

Including that cacophony of wildflower color you see above, in the aforementioned Lucy Park. In the background, behind that line of skinny trees, is the Wichita River, flowing with increased water due to Monday's excessive sky drippage.

The Wichita River running high did not explain what I found next on my walk with nature yesterday.


A locked gate blocked access to the Lucy Park suspension bridge across the Wichita River. 

Why? I wondered. And soon found out. 

Though direct access was blocked by a locked gate, it was rather easy to walk around the obstruction.


In the above look at the view from the other side you can see how easy it was to walk around the locked gate, and then turn around and see why the bridge is closed.


The Lucy Park suspension bridge appears to be in rehabilitation mode. The fencing which previously prevented one from falling off the bridge has been removed, leaving only the cables which hold up the suspended bridge deck. 

At the far end I could see a large section of bridge deck has been replaced. Something I have long thought has been needed. I am assuming this replacement will continue til the entire bridge deck is refurbished, with new guard rail fencing installed. 

All of which will be a major upgrade to one of Lucy Park's main attractions.

Today is scheduled to be another HOT day. I'm glad I shed 20 pounds in March. Losing insulative adipose tissue renders it easier to keep cool when the outer world is way too HOT...

No comments: