Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Washington Cowboys & Cowgirls In The Wild

Okay, I am back on my Washington theme for the day. Earlier today I showed you some Seafair fun from this past weekend on Lake Washington.

Then I showed you some hiking fun on a mountain in the North Cascades. That particular hike did not take place this past week.

But the cowboys and cowgirls on a horseride in the picture, that did take place this past week, also in the North Cascades, but on the east side of the mountains, in the Pasayten Wilderness Area, which stretches north to the Canadian border.

I know the rider who is bringing up the rear in the picture, though obviously it must be the picture taker who is actually bringing up the rear. The cowgirl in the back is Miss K. I was impressed a lot when I learned that Miss K went on long Harley rides, way up into Canada. That is something I do not believe I could do.

But, even more impressive is this annual trek out of Winthrop in Eastern Washington. A 7 hour horse ride to get to the camping destination. The longest I have ever lasted on a horse was about 10 minutes before it evicted me. It has been a long long time since I went camping and slept in a tent on the ground. It was at Alta Lake State Park, also in Eastern Washington and also somewhat near Winthrop.

I lasted one night. I needed some sort of thick pad between me and the hard ground. Years later I found myself similarly miserable on a hard cot on a houseboat.

And then there are the things like showers and restroom facilities. If a 7 hour horse ride didn't kill me, sleeping on the ground, with no 'conveniences' would surely do me in. I guess it is true, what one of my few critics said this morning. I am just one big ol' whiny wimp.

No comments: