Thursday, December 22, 2011

Waiting On A Turkey Walking Around Fosdic Lake Thinking About My Relative Weight Gain & The Wounded Knee Massacre

Duck Hunting Is Not Allowed On Fosdic Lake
Before my thawed too early turkey was scheduled to be pulled out of the oven I drove to Oakland Lake Park to escape the heat of the kitchen by walking around Fosdic Lake.

That would be Fosdic Lake in the picture, looking very blue, peaceful and serene. With a large number of ducks and geese making a formidable flotilla of loud quackers.

That tall skinny thing in the left side of the background is the Mount Tandy Tower, also known as the Fort Wort Space Needle.

It has been a long time since I have parked at the base of the Fort Worth Space Needle in order to hike the Tandy Hills.

Due to being unable to go swimming, for a variety of reasons, and due to being unable to hike the Tandy Hills, for only one reason, that being the trails are too muddy, I find myself quickly putting on weight.

I think it is my Dutch genetics that cause me to be able to put on weight real fast. All the Dutch people I know are easy weight gainers. Now that you are making me think about it, pretty much the only Dutch people I know are relatives. So this easy weight gain thing might not be something all people of Dutch descent are blessed with.

On July 22 of 2012 it will be 10 years since I flew up to Washington, to the fairgrounds in the town of Lynden, about 5 miles south of the Canadian border, for the biggest family reunion of my Dutch relatives since my great great grandpa and grandma sailed from Amsterdam to New York City in 1889.

1889 is one year before the Wounded Knee Massacre in South Dakota ended the Indian Wars, which is one of the reasons I am so judgmental regarding how you Americans, prior to my relatives landing on the continent, treated the Native Americans, because my ancestors had no part in it.

I have been to the site of the Wounded Knee Massacre. It is an eerie location.There is a big sign telling what happened there, from the Lakota Sioux point of view.

There are no Native Americans left in Arlington to put up a sign in the Village Creek Natural Historical Area to tell what happened there, courtesy of the Texans, to the Indians that called the Village Creek area home.

3 comments:

Slow Leak said...

hope this helps.... http://www.expatica.com/nl/leisure/dining_cuisine/How-the-Dutch-stay-slim_17527.html

Durango said...

Thanks, Slow Leak, I found the comments following the why the Dutch are skinny article to be amusing. I think I'll turn them into blogging fodder on my Obesity Blog.

DurangObesity

Anonymous said...

Re this day's blog title: The turkey was not walking around Fosdic Lake. Or was he? I could go on...but that will suffice.