Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Updating the Cotton Bowl's Red River Rivalry Between Texas & Oklahoma

The Red River makes up part of the boundary between Texas and Oklahoma. Every year the University of Texas Longhorns play the University of Oklahoma Sooners at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas in a football game known as the Red River Rivalry.

This Red River Rivalry game takes place during the State Fair of Texas. Googling for Red River Rivalry info I think I gleaned that this year's Red River Rivalry game has already taken place, with OU beating Texas, 55 to 17.

Clearly I pay little attention to football. So, why am I bringing up this Red River Rivalry? Well, apparently I have blogged about the Red River Rivalry previously. And erroneously.

Today a guy named David Fussell kindly alleviated me of my erroneousness. This is was Mr. Fussell had to say...

Love your blog on the State Fair of Texas! One inaccuracy though. The blog states:

The Red River Rivalry in the Cotton Bowl will soon be history. It will become the Red River Rivalry in the Dallas Cowboy Stadium in Arlington

The presidents of both universities have emphatically stated that the Red River Rivalry game between Texas and OU will NEVER leave the Cotton Bowl at Fair Park.

The current contract runs through 2015, and all parties involved are in negotiations to extend the contract long-term. 

Thanks!

The link in the message went to my Eyes on Texas webpage about the Dallas Cowboy Stadium Scandal. Which had me scouring that overly big webpage looking for the error. When I could not find it I emailed Mr. Fussell and asked if this error was on a blogging. It was. Rather than try and find that particular needle of a  blogging in this haystack of a blog I decided to just blog about my error.

Googling for info about the Red River Rivalry I found that at one point in time I was correct in saying the game was moving to the new Cowboy Stadium.

In February 2007, the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic let it be known the game would move out of Dallas to Cowboys Stadium, in Arlington, in 2010.

This threat to move the game to Arlington got Dallas Mayor Laura Miller to champion a bond referendum to greatly expand and improve the Cotton Bowl. In November 2006 Dallas voters passed a $30 million bond issue to improve the stadium. The City of Dallas and the State Fair of Texas kicked in an additional $20 million.

By April of 2007 Mayor Miller was able to announce that Texas and Oklahoma had agreed to keep playing in the Cotton Bowl at Fair Park though 2015.

Well, I'm glad that is all cleared up. So, what happens after 2015? Methinks that Red River Rivalry should stay in Dallas. Arlington's Cowboys Stadium has nothing like the State Fair of Texas to add to the overall fun.

No comments: