Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Too HOT To Hike Today So I'm Maybe Moving Back To Washington

I was in North Richland Hills and Hurst during my usual noon daily hike timeframe. I got back here coming up on 2.

Had a big lunch. Having a big lunch and then going on a hike is not a good idea, I've learned from previous bad experiences with that combo.

Add to that bad combo the fact that it is HOT and HUMID and you've got me in the mood to stay undercover in air-conditioned comfort and get my daily Vitamin D from a pill instead of the sun.

Yesterday I mentioned to Carlotta Camano that I'd seriously consider moving back to Washington if I had a house waiting for me, like when I moved to Texas. The Washington house would not require a pool, unlike what was required to make the Texas move happen.

By late afternoon, yesterday, Carlotta had worked out all the details of my move back to Washington. Carlotta says if I trust her judgement, she'll find me a house. I am to shed as much of my stuff as I can get rid of. Then rent a U-Haul and drive to my new location where Carlotta, Betty Jo, Honey Lulu and Sue will help me unpack and set up the new house.

Sounds sort of like the move to Texas, in reverse. Only that move it was a Penske truck, not a U-Haul. None of the Texas un-packers were named Carlotta, Betty Jo, Honey Lulu or Sue.

Now, via the current weather info for Mount Vernon, which I got at the same time I got the Fort Worth weather info, you might spot the reason I might have a slight trepidation about moving back to the Puget Sound region of the Pacific Northwest.

Note that the sun rises earlier and sets later in Washington than it does in Texas. The longer days this time of year is a good thing up north. But then in winter the opposite happens.

But, those extra hours of sunlight do not come close to heating up the outdoors to the HOT level the sun manages to heat Texas to with fewer daylight hours.

Currently pretty much every one I am hearing from in Washington is complaining about this being the coldest, wettest spring ever.

All the rivers on both sides of the mountains are running full. (both sides of the mountains is Washington-speak, meaning both sides of the Cascade Mountains, as in both Western and Eastern Washington) And now it's warming up enough that the snowpack is melting and adding to the already way too high rivers.

In Texas there are no problems with a mountain snowpack melting, adding water to any rivers.

Actually, being near mountains is something I do miss. That and being near saltwater. And rivers with fish in them, like salmon, that are safe to eat, because the river water is so clean.

I guess I should give Carlotta Camano the go ahead to look for a place for me to escape to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will be missed.

You're the Bard or Thoreau of Tandy Hills and Fosdic Lake.

Good luck.