Friday, November 6, 2009

A Veterans Park Soldier Overlooks Flags At Half Mast For Fort Hood Massacre

I had to be in Arlington today. I went for a short walk at Veterans Park. This was the first place I noticed flags flying at half mast. In Veterans Park a soldier overlooks the flags and the memorial 24/7. None of the soldiers who were murdered in the Fort Hood Massacre have yet had their names memorialized in brick, yet, at this location.

If you have not been to Veterans Park to see the new memorial, and are in the area, it is well worth a look. I was fascinated reading the memorial bricks. It was from those bricks that I learned there were Texas Choctaw code talkers who also helped fool the Nazis during World War II, along with the Navajo code talkers. There are a couple bricks for rebel soldiers who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War. There are some bricks for soldiers who fought in the very short Spanish-American War. And of course, bricks for soldiers who were in World War I & II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War, the Afghanistan War & the Iraq War.

America seems to have way too many wars.

No comments: