Wednesday, September 12, 2012

David Does The Puyallup On His Birthday At The Western Washington State Fair

David Driving at The Puyallup
My nephew, David, Did the Puyallup on his birthday, yesterday, 9/11. I learned David Did the Puyallup, on his birthday, when I called my mom yesterday afternoon. David Doing the Puyallup was confirmed this morning when I saw photo documentation on the Blue and Max Adventure Poodle Blog in a blogging titled David Does The Puyallup.

If you are in Texas reading this, or some other part of the world, or America, you might be wondering what it means to Do the Puyallup.

Well, to Do the Puyallup means one is going to the Western Washington State Fair.

In the town of Puyallup.

Puyallup, the town, is a few miles east and south of Tacoma. The Puyallup, the People, are a Washington Tribe of Indians, as in the Puyallup Tribe.

I do not know why, when one says one is going to Do The Dallas, it does not mean one is going to the State Fair of Texas. Very perplexing.

I don't enjoy the State Fair of Texas as much as I always enjoyed Doing the Puyallup. One thing is the food is better at The Puyallup. And you don't have to buy coupons to buy food. American currency is accepted.

The Midway of the State Fair of Texas is bigger and wilder than The Puyallup's. I'm not a big Carnival ride fan. But I greatly enjoy walking through the State Fair of Texas Midway. It is a bit of sensory overload. The Carnival/Midway zone of The Puyallup is puny compared to The Dallas.

David at The Puyallup in his Ask Me
My Secret Identity T-Shirt
Both fairs have gondola rides. The State Fair of Texas gondola skyride is only a few years old. The Puyallup's was born during the Seattle World's Fair, in 1962, moving to Puyallup, many years later.

If I remember right The Puyallup has a wooden roller coaster. I don't think there are one of those at the State Fair of Texas.

I always found shows I enjoyed watching at The Puyallup, not so much at The Dallas. Ironically, it was a Dallas based band, The Shoppe, that was always the highlight of a visit to The Puyallup, followed by a hypnotist show.

With Washington being a bit more of an agricultural area than Texas, that part, the produce and animals, is a bigger deal at The Puyallup.

The Puyallup has way more varied exhibits than the State Fair of Texas. Lots of demonstrations. Lots of temptations to buy. It was at The Puyallup I got my first Vita-Mix.

The State Fair of Texas seems to devote an awful lot of space to vehicle exhibits. I do not recollect seeing cars on display at The Puyallup.

The State Fair of Texas has some very cool permanent buildings, built in the Art Deco style, plus several museums. The Puyallup has a lot of permanent buildings, but not of the sort you see in Fair Park in Dallas.

I think you can find some fried food at The Puyallup, but nothing of the exotic deep-fried Big Tex Choice Award sort that can be a bit horrifying at the State Fair of Texas.

Right now I'm thinking if I weren't such a procrastinator, I would likely have gone to The Puyallup with my nephew, David, yesterday. And had a scone. Or two. Or three. But, nothing deep-fried. Not even butter.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Hey, Durango!

I remember some awesome things at the Puyallup (pronounced "pyoo-allup"). There were piglet races one year. Yummy desserts with huckleberries and such. Giant species of bunny rabbits - I mean big, giant Watership Down beasts. And I saw John Lee Hooker play there shortly before he passed.

Looking forward to checking out Big Tex, but Puyallup will always be special.

Love David's red hair and dance moves!

cd0103 said...

And Puyallup has a great rodeo, probably in conjunction with the State Fair. I believe it is just before the great Pendleton Round-Up.

Durango said...

cd0103, I recollect watching rodeo stuff at The Puyallup, but the memory is vague. Also remember watching rodeo at the PNE in Vancouver. But the funnest rodeo I've been to that I actually well remember is the rodeo during the Fort Worth Stock Show in the ancient Will Rogers Coliseum.

Marie, your mention of huckleberries brought Puyallup Fair scones with raspberry jam and butter back to my memory. I could eat an unseemly number of those whilst at The Puyallup.

My phonetic spelling of Puyallup would be Pew-El-Up.