Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The 3rd Tuesday Of April Thinking Fort Worth Must Focus On Basics Like Sidewalks

I won't be going swimming on this morning of the 17th day of April.

The reason I am not going swimming this morning has nothing to do with the fact that it is a chilly 50 degrees in the outer world at my location.

The reason I am not going swimming is because the pool is not usable because late Monday afternoon the water got its first shock treatment of 2012.

Due to using the pool not being cool and the fact that I've been overdoing the exercise thing I'm taking a day off of straining my aging self.

Changing the subject from my decrepitude to Fort Worth's decrepitude.

This morning on the front page of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram I read a paragraph of the sort I have not often read in this newspaper, what with its tendency towards propaganda and self-aggrandizing blowhardedness.

The paragraph I am talking about was in an editorial about Fort Worth's budget deficit titled "Budget shortfall means Fort Worth must focus on basics"....

We still have areas in Fort Worth where even the essentials are lacking. A good quality of life in these neighborhoods would mean curbs, sidewalks and access to a grocery store that doesn't take two bus transfers and three hours to reach.

I thought I was the only person in this town, which frequently makes other towns Green with Envy, due to the wonders that one beholds here, who has noticed the many streets without sidewalks and the narrowness of many of the sidewalks that do exist.

I can't help but wonder why Fort Worth does not send out some sort of task force to some other towns in this world which have managed to figure out how to have sidewalks along side their streets to learn how this wonder of the modern world might be imported to Fort Worth.

Methinks that it'd take just a fraction of the almost billion dollars currently slated to be wasted on the Trinity River Vision Boondoggle, to install sidewalks beside Fort Worth's many sidewalk-less streets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

blowhardedness
You are a deft wordsmith, my friend!