Friday, February 10, 2012

Learning Continuous Chest Compression CPR To Save Gar The Texan

This particular blogging is what is known as a Public Service Announcement.

According to Wikipedia, "A public service announcement (PSA) or public service ad is a type of advertisement featured on television, radio, print or other media. Whereas the objective of a standard advertisement is to market a product, a PSA is intended to change the public interest, by raising awareness of an issue, affecting public attitudes, and potentially stimulating action."

I'll get to the PSA in a second or two. First I must say that Betty Jo Bouvier regularly sends me email that ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime. This morning's ridiculousness, from Betty Jo, was the latest installment of the Women of Wal-Mart. This morning's sublime, from Betty Jo, was a lot of cute animals and a Public Service Announcement YouTube video from the University of Arizona College of Medicine.

I have never been in a situation where I wish I knew what to do if someone went into Cardiac Arrest. I have been told, a time or two, that I should learn what to do.

The only time that I recollect that I have been in a situation where someone was in dire need of medical attention were multiple incidents of Gar the Texan having diabetic attacks of the vapors.

The University of Arizona College of Medicine has developed a new CPR technique that is much more effective and easier to perform than the old technique.

Every 3 days more Americans die from cardiac arrest than the total killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Continuous Chest Compression CPR is a use your hands only method of CPR that doubles the chance of a person surviving cardiac arrest. It is easy to do, easy to learn. And requires no mouth to mouth contact. Which is a significant benefit of this technique when one thinks of the possibility of dealing with someone like Gar the Texan's cardiac arrest.

Below is a YouTube video from the University of Arizona College of Medicine that explains this new CPR technique. Methinks it behooves everyone to learn this....

9 comments:

Gar said...

Okay. The reason you aren't fond of the mouth to mouth is because you aren't gay or a woman. They'd probably disagree with your opinions.

Why did he say halfway between the nipples? There are many less awkward descriptions of the location. Sternum comes to mind.

And disco songs? Really? 100 beats per minute? "Staying Alive"? I'd sit there breaking somebody's ribs humming a song. Onlookers would think I'd gone nuts. And they'd be correct.

Gar said...

Have you looked at Youtube's suggested videos after that one was finished? I think the key word was "chest"...

Durango said...

I'm sorry Gar, I didn't mean to hurt your delicate feelers about the unseemliness of trying to revive you by blowing oxygen into your lungs. I'm sure there are dozens of people on the planet willing to try and resuscitate you in this manner. For me, my morbid fear of catching the communicable disease of diabetes would kick in.

Durango said...

I forgot to add that I also thought the mid nipples location description was odd, as was the disco music timing suggestion.

Gar said...

So the foreign girl in the pink bikini top was hot. I have a feeling she'd die while I was trying to exactly locate the part of the chest between the nipples.

Durango said...

Gar, I think the CPR thing would probably work just as well to pump on the foreign girl in the pink bikini top's nipples, instead of the between the nipples method.

Gar said...

Thanks for clearing that up! I didn't realize you had experience in nipple CPR things.

CatsPaw said...

Even a moron understands "nipples." "Sternum" not so much. And, even squeamish guys have 'em, too. I think "Stayin' Alive" is an excellent reminder - on more than one level. ::: ooh ooh ooh ooh stayin' alive :::

Thanks for the video.

Reading you two is like a buddy picture gone wrong.

Durango said...

CatsPaw, it is not like a buddy picture gone wrong, it is a buddy picture gone wrong.